Pete's (Now Nate's) 2003 Denali Budget Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have always had a bit of a GM full size addiction. I usually always have one in the stable.
I have been watching for a good Denali for a few months and had my eyeballs on this particular one.

Just sold a Suburban for $6k and then picked up this Denali for $4k.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg
Which wheels are those? Nissan?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Basic stuff: Faded Headlights

d15.jpg

Wet-sand. Soapy water and 1000grit, then 2000, then 3000/trizac

d16.jpg

d17.jpg

Buff out with Ultimate Compound and the Griot's Garage Orbital on 6

d18.jpg

Wax

d19.jpg

Done

d20.jpg

The white boobs :) on the lower turn signal are really bad. no hope for them. Probably replace them anyways
Those headlights came out great. Did you clear them? If not, they're gonna get hazy again.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice clean Denali so what are your plans for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sevenevez

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those headlights came out great. Did you clear them? If not, they're gonna get hazy again.

nah, no clear. the wax at the end usually helps em last longer. I am sure they will get replaced before they get faded again though.
btw: your Tahoe sounds mean as hell

Nice clean Denali so what are your plans for it?

thanks. nothing too crazy. probably just a drop, wheels, paint it and maybe stereo

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, no clear. the wax at the end usually helps em last longer. I am sure they will get replaced before they get faded again though.
btw: your Tahoe sounds mean as hell

thanks. nothing too crazy. probably just a drop, wheels, paint it and maybe stereo

Not bad what kinda rims are you thinking?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh, cool. yeah i saw vids but they were all with the smaller engine. everyone says you need small hands and a mirror or something. I haven't even torn the covers and plastics off to see it.

I can't believe how much work you have done to yours. All the way down to the valve train now? If i got that far, the truck would probably never run again haha
Yeah Vinci High Performance told me that since I wanted to run higher boost on the Whipple I just installed , my valves might start floating. Now I need to get my new cam installed and I just ordered American Racing longtubes so it's becoming a real beast. Next will be a smaller pulley for the blower after those mods.

OP
OP
Sevenevez

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad what kinda rims are you thinking?

man, i swear i have mocked up 50 different wheels in photoshop. and the one's that look the best to me are the common Boss 330 / U2-55 wheels everyone runs. Everything else just looked cheap or too flashy or too much chrome. I would love to have a set of Billet Wheels made but thats $750 a piece each wheel. I can't justify paying $3000 for wheels on a vehicle i paid $4000 for haha

Yeah Vinci High Performance told me that since I wanted to run higher boost on the Whipple I just installed , my valves might start floating. Now I need to get my new cam installed and I just ordered American Racing longtubes so it's becoming a real beast. Next will be a smaller pulley for the blower after those mods.

i just want to go for a dang ride in the rocket! that thing must be a blast.

If it's anything like this one, it has to be insane!

OP
OP
Sevenevez

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Project color match front end

I like chrome in small amounts as an accent, but this front end has way to much chrome going on for my taste.

Took it off, cleaned the hell out it then got to sanding and scuffing.
To get the paint to stick to chrome i had to start with a 200 grit.
I didn't want to have to retape everything twice so i had to do this methodically

d21.jpg

2 coats of sandable black primer (which btw is a pretty good match to the black plastics on the denali)

d22.jpg

2 coats of black pearl
(i didnt want the center gille too shiny so i opted out on the clear coat on the black)

d23.jpg

I wanted to use the OBS Sierra style of chrome grille surround style.
Confused yet? this is why i taped it the way i did.
If you look close the grille surround has a very small lip that goes around it.
I ran the butt of a spoon into the tape along that crease to give me a path to cut on a line with an Exacto.

d24.jpg

back to sanding again

d25.jpg

2 coats of black sandable primer (sorry, no pics, was getting dark)

4 coats of WA38 Pewter Metallic

d26.jpg

Plenty coats of clear!

d27.jpg

d28.jpg

i love spraying, but removing the tape is best part

d29.jpg

there's the chrome lip edge i was talking about

d30.jpg

mounted

ahhhh, much better!

d32.jpg

before / after

d31.jpg

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work on the chrome grille color match! It looks sick! I wanna do it to match my silver birch paint, but I know it's a pretty involved and time consuming process. Plus it takes painting skills I just don't have. Lol. So for now I'm stuck with chrome. Anyways looks good man! The nbs Denali is my favorite body style. Clean lines. Yours looks super clean for 195k! I'm subbed for the progress on your truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros