Persistent water on floor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 SSV that keeps getting water on the driver's side floor. It fills the trough where the wires run along the bottom of the door opening, and sometimes soaks up into the padding. It's probably been happening since it was new, because the floor is rusted paper thin and has some holes through it already.

I filled a hole in the pillar where the spotlight used to go through, and also replaced the inner weather seal, but it still gets full of water. After it rains, I see water on the top of the door, and it's always running down the rocker panel. It seems to get inside the weather stripping too.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything on the headliner? Your description sounds like the drain hole near the firewall but if the floor is rusted I’d address that first. Have you tried sitting in it while it’s hosed down? Try from the top first So you can eliminate it and use a flashlight to help see any water. Then try from the bottom. A few paper towels in the area overnight are a good test too.

OP
OP
M

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anything on the headliner? Your description sounds like the drain hole near the firewall but if the floor is rusted I’d address that first. Have you tried sitting in it while it’s hosed down? Try from the top first So you can eliminate it and use a flashlight to help see any water. Then try from the bottom. A few paper towels in the area overnight are a good test too.

Nothing in the headliner. Seems to still be coming from the spotlight area, including the half-circle cutout in the top edge of the door. During the Winter there is ice buildup in the door hinge area. I'm wondering if replacing the outer door seal (the one that also runs along the roof) would help, but I'm not sure what the part number is.

I'd like to watch inside while hosing it down, but I'm not sure if anything could be seen when the door is shut.

I've been leaving the kick plate and side trim off the floor so I can lift the wire guide out and remove the water when needed, but it's pretty annoying and I don't want to keep bending the wires.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’d want to be inside the truck with someone else hosing it down to see exactly where it comes in. What did you seal the spotlight hole with? If you see damage to the seal replace it. Any open spots can be sealed with clear rtv or silicone. Go to gmpartsdirect or rock auto. They’ll have the door seal if you need it.

DRKN57

Reaction score
Do you have a sunroof? If so did you check the drain holes, there should be 4 of them. Check to make sure they’re not clogged by running weed eater string all the way from the top through the vehicle and out the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The problem appears to be that the door is not closing tight enough. After it rains, I can see where water has been running down along the top of the door and following the inner weather strip to the floorboard.

This morning I added a 1/8" thick foam strip along the top edge of the door, and I can see that the back half of it is getting compressed, but the front half is not.

Is there any sort of adjustment for the door latch or hinges that could help it close tighter? I've already replaced both the inner and outer door seals, so I know they are good. Apparently the inner seal does nothing to keep out water though. In fact it seems to be filling with water, because it always comes out the little drain holes in the rubber when I open the door.

16vcabman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you find the leak? I have a 13 Tahoe 4wd ppv and my floor has holes and water intrusion on the left side of the vehicle. Up in drivers area.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Might want to check under the wiper cowl for leaks at the sealing under there. Many threads here about that and what was found.

Do you know if the rig has ever been in an accident, especially on the driver's side.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bend the door frame. Roll down the window, grab fwd top of frame and pull some. Test fit. Usually takes a couple tries. Bends easy.

16vcabman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, going to be testing the source with different color water. Yes the drivers door has been replaced. Water is up under foam pad by firewall, are the problems related to the cowle seam? Will do more research and report back. Thank you everyone for your help.