Performance exhaust manifolds vrs headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those wraps help keep headers cooler, and last longer?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

You don't want to keep the headers cooler, just contain the heat in them. Wraps help but are butt ugly and they eventually rot off. Being in AZ, I don't think you're in much danger of even mid-grade quality headers rusting out. I don't see why regular stainless headers (shorties or long tubes) wouldn't be fine for you. Just get a quality coating on them. Swain Tech is tops on my list for ceramic coating. The stainless JBA shorties I put on my S10 15+ years ago are still perfectly fine. I just wish I had them coated.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago people were doing extrude honeing. Forcing an abrasive concoction thru manifolds--intake and exhaust--to improve airflow. Don't know whatever happened with that.

It's still a relevant technology. Unless you're racing in some sort of class that requires stock manifolds and you want to wring out every fraction of power you can, it's not a cost-efficient method.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago people were doing extrude honeing. Forcing an abrasive concoction thru manifolds--intake and exhaust--to improve airflow. Don't know whatever happened with that.
That would be bad ass... was woundering if people ported them and or if i could do it on mynown. Perhaps blow walnut shells or even sand through them at high pressure.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to keep the headers cooler, just contain the heat in them. Wraps help but are butt ugly and they eventually rot off. Being in AZ, I don't think you're in much danger of even mid-grade quality headers rusting out. I don't see why regular stainless headers (shorties or long tubes) wouldn't be fine for you. Just get a quality coating on them. Swain Tech is tops on my list for ceramic coating. The stainless JBA shorties I put on my S10 15+ years ago are still perfectly fine. I just wish I had them coated.
Last I worked with headers was 15yrs ago they were pretty flimsy on our racecar but fit the bill. We ended up trying wraps if I recall correctly. However car only saw a few miles every week if that lol

I drive my truck about 200 miles a week. I go on forest roads, highway and regular daily driving. The new headers hold up pretty well?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That would be bad ass... was woundering if people ported them and or if i could do it on mynown. Perhaps blow walnut shells or even sand through them at high pressure.

Not sure how that would come out. This was more like a paste, kind of reminded me of the toothpaste--if that sets the image for you. Back then it was all the rage. Was better then hand porting, as this paste would reach areas that you couldn't get to with a dremel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sire how that would come out. This was more like a paste, kind of reminded me of the toothpaste--if that sets the image for you. Back then it was all the rage. Was better then hand porting, as this paste would reach areas that you couldn't get to with a dremel.
I will have to look into that esp if I could find a way to donit it n my own. Then test it out lol or maybe hire a dental hygenist with small baby hands lol

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of placing the exhaust gasket on the manifold and removing the "extra" cast iron to improve flow. Don't know if it would be worth the effort, but if you buy an extra set of manifolds and have nothing else to do ???????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu