Performance air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warranty coverage decisions don't come from the service manager at a dealership; they come from a dispassionate analyst sitting in a cubicle somewhere else.
But, some guy you state in a cube somewhere can’t see under my hood or enter data about the circumstances of my isssues. Only the service writer can, who answers to the service manager. Problem solved.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, some guy you state in a cube somewhere can’t see under my hood or enter data about the circumstances of my isssues. Only the service writer can, who answers to the service manager. Problem solved.
Certainly, any service notes the dealer has on your vehicle would be used in consideration. However, in any warranty claim, the warranty company, or the warranty representative from GM, would handle that end of the discussion. The dealer would be out of it, just like you see on TV shows when the feds show up and take the investigation out of the hands of the local sheriff.

The dealer has nothing to do with your warranty other than that they may have sold it to you. Even if they did, they were merely a broker for the warranty provider, whether that is the car manufacturer or a third party. The warranty is an agreement between you and the warranty provider; the dealer is not a party to it.

ATX 14

Reaction score
I have a 2016 PPV Tahoe that came with the high capacity air cleaner. I was looking to upgrade to a aFe Cold Air Intake. I'm not sure if the high capacity air filter is better than the aftermarket CAI? Thanks for any replies.

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackbear did a performance flow test on intakes some time back, it's a good read.

ATX 14

Reaction score
Yeah, I read the intake test but I'm not sure if there is a difference between that stock air cleaner and the high capacity air cleaner.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the intake test but I'm not sure if there is a difference between that stock air cleaner and the high capacity air cleaner.

Not really. The biggest difference in power is whether the filter is clean or dirty.

Mine is older and slower than you guys but when we head to the track in the next month or two, my plan is to make two passes with the K&N and two with the factory high capacity paper filter and post the differences, if any.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ahh your tax dollars at work, doing what Hot Rod and Car Craft have done and known for years. Was this a "Shovel Ready" job? LOL

In all my years of working on mine own and customer cars, I've NEVER seen a crushed air filter. Course, my memory is not what it once was but I have no recollection of such ever happening. Not even on my turbocharged race cars with stock air boxes. They never tested for horsepower, just gas mileage. I reckon these were bureaucrats and not car guys...

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about the only way a factory dealership installed option would void your warranty is if you bought it and installed it yourself. they could come back with you must have installed it wrong. doing your own oil changes or having a non gm garage do them can "void" your warranty. void your warranty isn't really the right word anyway think of it more like if they can tie any kind of failure to something that wasn't done by them. if you do your own oil changes and your engine fails they can come back with you were using the wrong oil or there is no record or proof you actually were doing the oil changes.

I worked for a Chevy dealership in a past life. If you are a "squeaky wheel" they will do anything they can to help you. A guy had his 95 Cavalier Z24 towed in cause the engine seized at just over 36k miles...shortly after the warranty expired. He made a a ruckus at the dealership and with GM on the phone. Came to find out he never changed the oil....ever. I was in the shop when the service tech pulled the oil pan plug. Oil came out like toothpaste. And GM replaced the motor in the car under warranty.

I am on the fence about CAI's. But, I do feel less restrictive anything is usually better.

The reasons that manufacturers don't do these things are most likely because of federal regulations (specifically emissions). That is also why a simple tuner will open up some more power. They may push to the edge but, cannot cross, an invisible line of power vs mileage vs regulations.

The reason manufacturers don't do these things is because they are selling to the masses. Even a high performance car like a ZR1 or ZL1 is sold being able to use 91 octane and get 5000 - 7500 miles of oil life. Because GM (and every car manufacturer knows) some knucklehead that doesn't know a thing about cars may just buy this thing. I change my oil every 3k...even though GM says 5k. I only put BP 93 octane in the tank, I use a heavier weight oil now....sacrificing a bit of fuel economy for better engine protection. We worry about every scratch on the car, every squeak from the interior, every buzz or hum from under the dash or car. WE are the enthusiasts and they don't build every car for us. They build them for soccer mom who puts a piece of black tape on her dash when a light comes on....Sorry I got off topic with my little rant.

My Volant CAI just arrived. I bought it based on the review from BlackBear. Since it made the most power on a 6.2l without any other mods then it should help my 5.3 with a nice BB tune. I will remove the tune and the CAI if I have to go in for warranty work but there are dealerships that want the business. If you ask them if they are "performance friendly", with mods you have or plan on, then they are usually honest with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts