Pavel's 2005 Escalade EXT build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iddqd

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart thought on the door locks! Yeah I would think the video cable would have to be covered. I have a back up cam installed with my headunit as well. But I had it installed because I don’t have the experience or skills for that. Lol. And have always been curious about how they worked the backup cam.
I think u've got a Suburban. Its so much easier to run the wires on SUV than on SUT. BUt it's usually done under the door frame trims, where floor panels meet door frames

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think u've got a Suburban. Its so much easier to run the wires on SUV than on SUT. BUt it's usually done under the door frame trims, where floor panels meet door frames
Yukon XL but same thing. Lol. Just seems like a lot of work I guess. I would think it’d be easier to have some sort of receiver that runs off of a signal rather having to run that cable all the way forward. That’s a lot of cable. But what do I know about these things?! Lol

ArcticYukon

The White Yuke has been superseded by a Red Hoe
Reaction score
Rear view camera

I installed a rear view camera in the tailgate. That was a PITA!!!

Some engineer (if that's the right word) at GM decided to make tailgate out of fiberglass. To put the parts of the tailgate together they used double sided sticky tape. To add insult to injury, GM didn't put a lock actuator inside, so the tailgate can only be opened and closed with a key. And it's very heavy, but no torsion installed.

To be fare, in 2007 GM did their homework and the new Avalanche/Escalade EXT had a regular metal tailgate with a power lock, torsion bar and a rear view camera. But for 2002-2006 the owners have to do it themselves.

To take tailgate apart, you need to cut the above mentioned sticky tape. I used just a regular kitchen knife. All the rest is very easy.

So, I installed the camera, a tailgate lock actuator and a torsion bar.

Pix speak louder then words:
View attachment 218211 View attachment 218212 View attachment 218213 View attachment 218214 View attachment 218215

Nice work, man!

OP
OP
iddqd

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukon XL but same thing. Lol. Just seems like a lot of work I guess. I would think it’d be easier to have some sort of receiver that runs off of a signal rather having to run that cable all the way forward. That’s a lot of cable. But what do I know about these things?! Lol
There are actually wireless camera, but I didn't want to add complexity where it's not needed. Plus, they all are made in some Chinese basement, which doesn't contribute towards reliability either, The fewer points of failure, the better!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are actually wireless camera, but I didn't want to add complexity where it's not needed. Plus, they all are made in some Chinese basement, which doesn't contribute towards reliability either, The fewer points of failure, the better!
Ah ok that makes sense

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice work . Great to see you do a full job and not half ass it .

Side not looks like your apartment has a nice view. 7th floor?

17465C57-0140-4F8F-AEB5-20B292FC6D72.jpeg

OP
OP
iddqd

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side not looks like your apartment has a nice view. 7th floor?

View attachment 218876

Ground floor actually, but it's on the top of the hill, near Twin Peaks. But I moved out already. The apartment was very nice, but for 2 people and a German Shepherd Dog 1BR is waaay to small. Now I live in a 3 story townhouse in South San Francisco with my own garage, 2BR, 2.5BATH, but rent is actually the same. Welcome to San Francisco :)

Ah, and I cut my commute time in half

Last edited:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Ground floor actually, but it's on the top of the hill, near Twin Peaks. But I moved out already. The apartment was very nice, but for 2 people and a German Shepherd Dog 1BR is waaay to small. Now I live in a 3 story townhouse in South San Francisco with my own garage, 2BR, 2.5BATH, but rent is actually the same. Welcome to San Francisco :)

Ah, and I cut my commute time in half
Awesome upgrade on the home , I thought San Fran was expensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish