Passive Entry Driver's Side Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeZ78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ with passive entry. A while back the driver's side door handle push button stopped working (will not lock/unlock vehicle). All of the other door handles are working and key fob unlocks all doors as well. I assume the door handle itself needs to be replaced. If so, is that a DIY job or a trip to the dealership?

wu6fiend

Reaction score
Before you do anything, replace the battery in your key fob. I was having this exact issue (driver door handle entry button would not work, but all other buttons would work fine). I did some on line research, and replacing the fob battery was recommended. The reason given was, apparently the receiver for the fobs is located somewhere near the passenger rear wheel well, and the drivers door handle is thereby the furthest away. Weak fob battery = weak signal. I replaced the fob battery, and presto! no more issue with the handle button. Prior to replacing the battery, the fob still worked fine and would auto start the vehicle, unlock doors, open the lift gate etc., it apparently just didn't have enough juice to allow the exterior door handle button to work on the driver door. Try replacing the fob battery, see if that solves the problem.

markjanosz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Tahoe LTZ with passive entry. A while back the driver's side door handle push button stopped working (will not lock/unlock vehicle). All of the other door handles are working and key fob unlocks all doors as well. I assume the door handle itself needs to be replaced. If so, is that a DIY job or a trip to the dealership?
Were you able to find a solution to this issue? I am having the same issue on both doors on driver's side. (2016 Yukon XL SLT)

I already replaced battery in FOB with no luck, I already took door apart and appears all wires and connectors are as they should be. Dealer said the button itself cannot be replaced as it is part of the Handle ($140 per handle).

Last edited:

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you able to find a solution to this issue? I am having the same issue on both doors on driver's side. (2016 Yukon XL SLT)

I already replaced battery in FOB with no luck, I already took door apart and appears all wires and connectors are as they should be. Dealer said the button itself cannot be replaced as it is part of the Handle ($140 per handle).
So if you look into the forums using the search function there is a little box installed between mid row and third row inside the driver side panel. My truck has this problem too and it’s only the MFing driver door which makes no sense because the passenger side is the furthest away! Anyways yea replace that part and you’ll be back to norm also my fob only works 15feet away so I know for sure it’s the receiver inside vehicle and not the 3 plus brand new OEM fobs I ordered. So let us know if you get it solved

Bill R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when you say look into the forums search function about little box installed between mid row and third row. I did this and nothing comes up. what little box are you referring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts