Passenger window - Auto Up won’t stay up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMS10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The passenger window on my 2015 Tahoe won’t stay up when using the auto up feature. When I click the auto up button, it goes all the way up and then goes all the way back down. So I took it to the dealership and they said they have to replace the whole Body Control Module (BCM) and they’re gonna charge me $600 bucks because it’s out of warranty. Does that sound right?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yea most likely because the auto window feature uses a sensor to it knows the position of the window. Either it needs to be relearned or you have a faulty sensor. If it works fine normally I say live with it.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Here try this. Pulled from all data

1. Note: The doors must be completely closed prior to normalizing the windows, a door that is open or ajar may cause the power window to function abnormally or to become inoperative while performing the normalizing procedure. If this occurs, verify that the door is completely closed then repeat the normalizing procedure.

Note: For vehicles equipped with a folding convertible top, the top must be closed and firmly latched prior to normalizing the windows. If attempting to normalize a power window with the folding convertible top not secured, the driver information center may display Top Not Secured and power window normalizing will not be permitted.

Ignition ON.

2. Starting with the window completely UP, press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open and continue holding the switch down for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely open.

3. Pull the power window switch up until the window is fully closed and continue holding the switch up for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely closed.

The window should now be normalized and the window should perform the express up and express down functions.

Window Motor Relearn Procedure

A relearn procedure may need to be performed for any Local Interconnect Network (LIN) window motor for the following conditions:

- When the window glass is out of alignment

- When the window glass has been replaced

- When the door has been replaced

- When the window regulator has been replaced
Note: Prior to performing the relearn procedure the vehicle must have all 4 wheels properly inflated and mounted, the vehicle must be sitting on a level surface and all doors must be completely closed and for vehicles equipped with a folding convertible top, the top must be closed and firmly latched.

To relearn the window motor, follow these steps:

1. Ignition ON.

2. With a scan tool, select Module Diagnosis, Body Control Module, Configuration/Reset Functions and then select the appropriate Clear Window Learn Values for the window motor requiring the relearn procedure.

3. After the learn procedure, exit the scan tool learn procedure completely, the power window cannot be normalized and will not function until you exit the program.

4. Starting with the window completely UP, press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open and continue holding the switch down for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely open.

5. Pull the power window switch up until the window is fully closed and continue holding the switch up for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely closed.

The window is now reprogrammed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it turns out to indeed need a bcm they run about $80-90 used on ebay, there is new-other one currently listed for the same price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Control-Computer-Multifuntion-Electric-Control-BCM-Silverado-Suburban-Tahoe/252552654348?fits=Year:2015|Model:Tahoe&epid=656778739&hash=item3acd4fae0c:g:Tz0AAOSwyYFaBeqY:sc:USPSFirstClass!95219!US!-1

I don't know if it would need to be programmed when putting into another truck but I would check to be sure the numbers match anyway if you go that route.

OP
OP
RMS10

RMS10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here try this. Pulled from all data

1. Note: The doors must be completely closed prior to normalizing the windows, a door that is open or ajar may cause the power window to function abnormally or to become inoperative while performing the normalizing procedure. If this occurs, verify that the door is completely closed then repeat the normalizing procedure.

Note: For vehicles equipped with a folding convertible top, the top must be closed and firmly latched prior to normalizing the windows. If attempting to normalize a power window with the folding convertible top not secured, the driver information center may display Top Not Secured and power window normalizing will not be permitted.

Ignition ON.

2. Starting with the window completely UP, press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open and continue holding the switch down for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely open.

3. Pull the power window switch up until the window is fully closed and continue holding the switch up for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely closed.

The window should now be normalized and the window should perform the express up and express down functions.

Window Motor Relearn Procedure

A relearn procedure may need to be performed for any Local Interconnect Network (LIN) window motor for the following conditions:

- When the window glass is out of alignment

- When the window glass has been replaced

- When the door has been replaced

- When the window regulator has been replaced
Note: Prior to performing the relearn procedure the vehicle must have all 4 wheels properly inflated and mounted, the vehicle must be sitting on a level surface and all doors must be completely closed and for vehicles equipped with a folding convertible top, the top must be closed and firmly latched.

To relearn the window motor, follow these steps:

1. Ignition ON.

2. With a scan tool, select Module Diagnosis, Body Control Module, Configuration/Reset Functions and then select the appropriate Clear Window Learn Values for the window motor requiring the relearn procedure.

3. After the learn procedure, exit the scan tool learn procedure completely, the power window cannot be normalized and will not function until you exit the program.

4. Starting with the window completely UP, press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open and continue holding the switch down for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely open.

5. Pull the power window switch up until the window is fully closed and continue holding the switch up for approximately 5 seconds after the window is completely closed.

The window is now reprogrammed.
Thanks sumo for the response. I found those suggestions also and tried them to no avail.

OP
OP
RMS10

RMS10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if it turns out to indeed need a bcm they run about $80-90 used on ebay, there is new-other one currently listed for the same price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Control-Computer-Multifuntion-Electric-Control-BCM-Silverado-Suburban-Tahoe/252552654348?fits=Year:2015|Model:Tahoe&epid=656778739&hash=item3acd4fae0c:g:Tz0AAOSwyYFaBeqY:sc:USPSFirstClass!95219!US!-1

I don't know if it would need to be programmed when putting into another truck but I would check to be sure the numbers match anyway if you go that route.
Thanks Doubeleive for the response. I just can't believe they need to "Replace" the actual BCM and not just "Reprogram" it. I'm beginning to understand why they are called "stealerships"

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Not sure in the 15 but in my 08, the window switch itself has a module in it that I needed to have programmed when I installed power fold mirrors that originally didn’t come standard. Maybe you can swap one with someone to see if that solves your problem.
On another note, here’s a ULPT (unethical life pro tip). Saw it on reddit lol. Rent the same truck as yours and swap parts. Apparently it’s a real thing. People says they swapped same rims but with better tread and stuff like that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure in the 15 but in my 08, the window switch itself has a module in it that I needed to have programmed when I installed power fold mirrors that originally didn’t come standard. Maybe you can swap one with someone to see if that solves your problem.
On another note, here’s a ULPT (unethical life pro tip). Saw it on reddit lol. Rent the same truck as yours and swap parts. Apparently it’s a real thing. People says they swapped same rims but with better tread and stuff like that.
lol, Ive been driving by the uhaul gmc pickups thinking the same thing in my head, the crap people must do

OP
OP
RMS10

RMS10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LOLOLOL . . . . That is too funny. I really wish I could unsee this post.

Hummin24

Reaction score
After replacing my front passenger side window the auto up feature wouldn't work. Found this thread. The holding the window down and then up for 5 seconds did NOT work. I rolled up all windows popped the hood and disabled negative terminal for 5 minutes for bcm to re-learn. When you get back in and start the truck the info center will say "Action required roll drivers window down- now roll window up" Once that is done it repeats with "Action required roll passengers window down- now roll window up" Once this was done the auto up feature was fully restored. Also be advised your outside temperature will read 32 but that goes away after about 5 miles of driving.