Parking brakes suddenly loose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I am now convinced, I will need to pull it all off again. Seemed the same holding on both sides but frankly it is not easy to tell. I will pull it all off again. Likely I lost another lining. Last time both linings on one side were gone but that was after 100k miles. I think the fact that we put heavy use on those shoes as with a trailer on a ramp may be the reason these go so easy. I will report once I break it down.

Tis the life of the hard core boaters! Yup it sucks because you want to have the parts on hand IF there is something broken. But if you don't wind up using them or just one shoe, it puts a spare on the shelf for you. I've also had an adjuster break and snap on me right on the boat ramp. I'd recommend replacing them anyway.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tis the life of the hard core boaters! Yup it sucks because you want to have the parts on hand IF there is something broken. But if you don't wind up using them or just one shoe, it puts a spare on the shelf for you. I've also had an adjuster break and snap on me right on the boat ramp. I'd recommend replacing them anyway.

Yep I am going to order the parts and just replace everything again. Amazon I thought had a GM kit for about $65. But I will check out your links as well. Thank you for the input! Definitely gives me confidence to just pull the wheels and get it down.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I took everything apart and put it all back together with all the new parts. Works great now. Not sure what happened here. Brake pads were solid. Maybe the pin inside the cylinder came loose in there. I don't know but it is back to normal. I changed out everything again. I wish I could tell you guys what happened here.

T

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I took everything apart and put it all back together with all the new parts. Works great now. Not sure what happened here. Brake pads were solid. Maybe the pin inside the cylinder came loose in there. I don't know but it is back to normal. I changed out everything again. I wish I could tell you guys what happened here.

T
That is very odd that you didnt find anything that stood out like a part broken off or in half or something. And now it all works....unless it was just misadjusted (Adjusters froze). Our setups are pretty easy to work on and even total rebuild as long as its done properly. But youd be surprised with the amount of grown men out there that havent been taught the difference between a primary and secondary brake shoe. (Not that we have them since the ebrake is a horseshoe on ours).

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very odd that you didnt find anything that stood out like a part broken off or in half or something. And now it all works....unless it was just misadjusted (Adjusters froze). Our setups are pretty easy to work on and even total rebuild as long as its done properly. But youd be surprised with the amount of grown men out there that havent been taught the difference between a primary and secondary brake shoe. (Not that we have them since the ebrake is a horseshoe on ours).
Yeah I am suspect for sure. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is the metallic clink sound a few seconds after I engaged the parking brakes at the boat ramp ( before this replacement ). It was tight before that sound and then it started to slide slowly down hill. Well this saga may not end here. I will be back if anything new comes up.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

T
That's great!