Parking assist service required

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does this mean. 07 Yukon slt says this on the dash. When I put in reverse I have three red lights on instantly on the back cargo area. Hope that makes sense. I always had this issue and don't know how it should operate normally. Please someone fill me in on the system and how it works.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It uses sensors in the rear bumper to tell how close you are to objects behind you. The 3 red lights in the rear should be yellow/amber until you get close to something and then it turns red and beeps at you. When looking in the rear view mirror the light closest to the drivers side will turn red if you are getting close to something on the drivers side... the light on the passenger side will operate the same way for that side and the one in the center turns red when something is near the center of the vehicle. All of them being red obviously would mean you were backing up to something wide like a wall.

It sounds like something is wrong with the sensors in the rear bumper... there are 4. I would start by sliding underneath the rear and making sure that they are plugged in.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I checked the connections on them and they all looked fine. I am going to chase wires here next week and compare them all. I am assuming it's a bad sensor. Will One sensor make them all go bad. Is it wired in series or parallel.

Also has anyone ever replace these before. Do they come out easy and did you go aftermarket or factor. They are expensive and I don't have any dealerships on this island. Going to need to call a friend in lower 48 for me.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yea I checked the connections on them and they all looked fine. I am going to chase wires here next week and compare them all. I am assuming it's a bad sensor. Will One sensor make them all go bad. Is it wired in series or parallel.

Also has anyone ever replace these before. Do they come out easy and did you go aftermarket or factor. They are expensive and I don't have any dealerships on this island. Going to need to call a friend in lower 48 for me.

Wish I could be of more help. Unfortunately for you , but fortunately for me, I have never had any issues from mine.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they're clean first. A buildup of dirt or a glob of mud on a sensor(s) can cause this.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea still no joy. Going to break into this on Tuesday. Keep you all posted. Any suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Update. I have done nothing new to the rear bumper sensors and get in the Yukon today to head to crab fest and only the driver side red light is on constantly. But I didn't get close enough to anything see if the others went on. It's not bc I cleaned it bc I have tried that before. Any ideas.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I backed up within inches and no indication has changed. Just the one light. I doubt that both lights went out at the same time. But was a thought. Is there three light bulbs in that indication.

Thinking about buying an aftermarket part and just playing with the location and seeing if just one sensor is bad.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are three- two ambers and a red. Maybe I've never paid close enough attention, but I didn't think mine illuminated to indicate which side was detecting an object. It's an amber light on one end of the three and slow beeping at first. Then, as I get closer to an object, there's a middle amber and more frequent beeping. Then, when I'm about a foot from an object, the third light, which is red, illuminates and is accompanied by a solid beeping.

I've had mine beep once and illuminate an amber light when I first put it into reverse and the light stayed the same until I took it out of reverse no matter how close to the garage wall I got. This was resolved immediately after wiping off the sensors.

If yours are clean, then I'd say you have a failed sensor. If there is no separate detection for the left or right side, then you can't simply swap sensors around until the problem follows. I doubt you can just unplug one sensor at a time in hopes the system ignores the faulty one but operates on the remaining ones.

I'd diagnose it just as you mentioned- by replacing one position at a time until it works.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are three- two ambers and a red. Maybe I've never paid close enough attention, but I didn't think mine illuminated to indicate which side was detecting an object. It's an amber light on one end of the three and slow beeping at first. Then, as I get closer to an object, there's a middle amber and more frequent beeping. Then, when I'm about a foot from an object, the third light, which is red, illuminates and is accompanied by a solid beeping.

I've had mine beep once and illuminate an amber light when I first put it into reverse and the light stayed the same until I took it out of reverse no matter how close to the garage wall I got. This was resolved immediately after wiping off the sensors.

If yours are clean, then I'd say you have a failed sensor. If there is no separate detection for the left or right side, then you can't simply swap sensors around until the problem follows. I doubt you can just unplug one sensor at a time in hopes the system ignores the faulty one but operates on the remaining ones.

I'd diagnose it just as you mentioned- by replacing one position at a time until it works.

Yea when I had all three lights on. Since I owned the Yukon. I have only seen the three lights there. All red. And never heard any beeps. Wonder if that's a fault code. Idk. Work a question. I will order a sensor and play and keep you all posted. Work on this in a few weeks. Catch can and gaskets get here this week and then I will play with that stuff.