Park Assist Not Working After Adding Bike Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything has been working fine, and then I added a bike rack that fits into my 2" receiver. Now every time I start the vehicle it flashes "Park Assist Off". Neither the front nor the rear sensors will indicate how close I am to things (like my garage wall).

When I hit the park assist button P))) to the left of the steering wheel nothing happens. So does my bike rack in the rear somehow disable the system because the rear sensors are blocked?

Any ideas on this one?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably, another guy added a brush guard in the front and the parking sensors went cuckoo, might want to switch to a roof mount system?

OP
OP
Z71Jack

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably, another guy added a brush guard in the front and the parking sensors went cuckoo, might want to switch to a roof mount system?

Yeah, I'll have to experiment. I can understand if it shut-off the rear sensors, but for some reason it also disables the front ones as well. Very nice to have when I pull into the garage and have to nose-up against the wall as close as possible so the bike rack clears the garage door. But my Tahoe has other ideas for some reason:)

It almost has to be something with the bike rack blocking a sensor that is throwing the system for a loop. Will take it off tomorrow and see if it comes back on.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When ever i put a trailer, bike rack, etc it shuts off park assist on my 13... it prob same on yours only front shuts off too. Nothing you can do. Rack is too close to sensor making truck think its blocked or a problem with system so it shuts it off.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ever i put a trailer, bike rack, etc it shuts off park assist on my 13... it prob same on yours only front shuts off too. Nothing you can do. Rack is too close to sensor making truck think its blocked or a problem with system so it shuts it off.
IIRC, there is a user-selectable setting to disable PA when towing (I'm assuming it senses a load on the 7-pin connector).

For the OP, does your bike rack plug into the 7-pin, like for a brake light or marker lights?

OP
OP
Z71Jack

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...as soon as I took the rack off it switched right back on (like you said).

OP
OP
Z71Jack

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the OP, does your bike rack plug into the 7-pin, like for a brake light or marker lights?

No. It's just a basic bike rack. Nothing fancy. It slides into the 2" receiver and tightens with a screw. No electrical.

Strange that it shuts the front sensors off as well. But guess that's the way it is. Thanks!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
No. It's just a basic bike rack. Nothing fancy. It slides into the 2" receiver and tightens with a screw. No electrical.

Strange that it shuts the front sensors off as well. But guess that's the way it is. Thanks!

Hang a tennis ball in the garage....

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a block of wood on the garage floor :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094