Paint Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtCookeUSMC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Folks, I'm not sure what you think but, I feel that the paint on my 2018 is the worst paint ever. I don't have a better way to describe it other than to say it seems thin. Scratches in the clear very easy and it just doesn't feel like my Ram or Jeep paint. Have you all had paint issues?

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, mine too. Extremely thin water based paint. The paint scratches/chips if you look at it wrong. No remedy/fix for it. Blame the EPA and environmentalists for this. I'm sure at some point car companies will develop more durable water based paint, but for now we are stuck with it, I'm afraid.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks, I'm not sure what you think but, I feel that the paint on my 2018 is the worst paint ever. I don't have a better way to describe it other than to say it seems thin. Scratches in the clear very easy and it just doesn't feel like my Ram or Jeep paint. Have you all had paint issues?

In brought my 2016 to my detail guy for a correction and wrap when I bought it. He looks at it, shakes his head and says ‘another GM paint job’. Compared to some mine isn’t too bad. No orange peel. It does have some tiger striping though.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, mine too. Extremely thin water based paint. The paint scratches/chips if you look at it wrong. No remedy/fix for it. Blame the EPA and environmentalists for this. I'm sure at some point car companies will develop more durable water based paint, but for now we are stuck with it, I'm afraid.
just avoid white
i see a bunch of 2000s era chevy white vans and trucks with No paint on them

bare rust free metal :eek: (it hardly rains and when it does it puts a coating motor oil on them)

so based on what you said it should be the same with the '15 to 19 models shortly in the future

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
just avoid white
i see a bunch of 2000s era chevy white vans and trucks with No paint on them

bare rust free metal :eek: (it hardly rains and when it does it puts a coating motor oil on them)

so based on what you said it should be the same with the '15 to 19 models shortly in the future
Has to do with the primer/prep, not the paint.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to do with the primer/prep, not the paint.

UAW.....Union-caused issues..... & GM....idiots.....

The 2000's ( before/after)...... Factory paint peeling from primer....

During assembly process, the factory primer was allowed to 'over-cure' before finish coat applied, causing finish coat , not to attach to primer.

Same problem with my old (sold), '88 GMC C2500, Metallic Brown clear coat turned into milky color, separating from brown finish coat. They waited too long to apply clear.