P0442 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QuinnTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here,

Ive had a P0442 code for quite a while and every now and then I get the urge to look into it. Replaced the gas cap and the Purge solenoid. Neither of those fixed it. I did find a broke a tube that connects to the purge solenoid. It was broken at the 90 degree nipple. I slipped it back on and used electrical tape to secure it for the time being. Ive been searching and cannot find a Part Number for this line. Does anyone know where I can find a Part number for this line or have one on hand?

Also any insight into this code would be a huge help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I have seen many complaints here about the evap systems and IMO, it is best to just replace it all at the same time, including the fuel cap.

Plus, if you are gonna ask for help for your rig, you need to post the year, make and model and engine size, unless of course you want us to just do a WAG.

You can post that info in your signature and then it comes up every time you post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

QuinnTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fair enough, its a 2015 Tahoe LT 5.3. I was making an attempt to not throw parts at it regarding the code. As far the hose I can not locate any sort of parts diagram for the EVAP system.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chased for a while. New AC Adelco gas cap, new purge valve, new vent...last part was the charcoal canister and that's what turned it off for me. 08 Yukon XL Denali

OP
OP
Q

QuinnTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So if your engine is leaking do you just replace the whole thing?

OP
OP
Q

QuinnTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I chased for a while. New AC Adelco gas cap, new purge valve, new vent...last part was the charcoal canister and that's what turned it off for me. 08 Yukon XL Denali

Any visible signs of a leak from the canister? What did the inside look like?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So if your engine is leaking do you just replace the whole thing?

You asked for help. I told you what I have seen and recommended and then I offered up pics of the lines so you could check which one may be the one you are talking about. I even said, "your call of course". This all come from a guy that only joins the forum because he has a problem.

The evap system and the engine are two entirely different things and anyone with any common sense will know that. I see you don't want help from me unless I tell you what you want to hear.

Don't worry, you will no longer receive any info from me. Have a good day.

OP
OP
Q

QuinnTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You asked for help. I told you what I have seen and recommended and then I offered up pics of the lines so you could check which one may be the one you are talking about. I even said, "your call of course". This all come from a guy that only joins the forum because he has a problem.

The evap system and the engine are two entirely different things and anyone with any common sense will know that. I see you don't want help from me unless I tell you what you want to hear.

Don't worry, you will no longer receive any info from me. Have a good day.

Help is not telling someone to replace an entire system. What I want to hear is trouble shooting methods. A way to test individual parts. Throwing parts at something is just dumb.

Yes they are two different things. But anyone with common sense wouldn't replace the entire system because of one faulty part.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet kind of has a point since the EVAP system in GM vehicles is crap. Other than my wife's 07 Escalade back in the day, I don't think I can remember having a single one longer term that didn't throw EVAP codes at some point. Never replaced the whole system on any of them, but definitely came close to it on her 07 Tahoe. Luckily none of the stuff is too expensive, really. EVAP codes are such a PITA.

As far as the part you are asking, it probably would help if you had a picture of the said 90 degree angle.