P0101 P0171 P0174 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kly5953

Reaction score
Going ahead and starting the thread, couldn't find anyone with the same codes that completed their thread with an actual fix.

P0101, P0171, P0174 all showed up

Already cleaned MAF and TB then blew out a somewhat new looking air filter (not a K&N style reusable)

Codes went away for about 4 days, which is the longest it has ever gone without them. Tonight I will be pulling the codes again to find out if the same codes are popping up. Will be using brake cleaner to check for vacuum leaks as well.

All advice and helpful information is welcome.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked at your short- and long-term fuel trims, at idle and at 1500 or 2000 rpm? If not, document them and post 'em up if you're so inclined.

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
Have you looked at your short- and long-term fuel trims, at idle and at 1500 or 2000 rpm? If not, document them and post 'em up if you're so inclined.
Sorry, I haven't been back on as i havent had to drive it too much and been busy.
I have an OBD-II scanner, how would I do that?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Use a spritz bottle of water to check for leaks. Not brake clean. You can use carb cleaner too but I prefer water. It is also good to have a mechanics stethoscope and pull the probe out of hose and use end of hose to listen for the vacuum leak. Found this story while searching:

"I had the same issues with my 04 Tahoe. I started with the MAF Sensor to solve the P0101 code. Worked great! I initially didn't have the other 2 codes, but within a week or so of replacing my MAF Sensor I received them both. I likely didn't get them before since my MAF Sensor was failing. Once I received the lean codes I tried the easy fix of replacing the fuel filter. This was a good thing to try since I hadn't changed the fuel filter in 20k or so, but this had no effect on the lean codes. Then I moved to the intake gasket to fix the P0171 and P0174 codes. I figured this was the problem, but before going through the effort of changing them I decided to smoke test my intake. Unfortunately a smoke machine is very expensive so I had to make my own from hardware store supplies (took ~$10). This worked like a charm. I found that both gaskets were leaking (that equals vacuum leaks). Wouldn't you know it? That's why I had the lean codes on both banks. Now my Tahoe is back to normal. Hope this helps!"

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Do you know if it’s an OEM MAF sensor and not a chyna clone? Aftermarket are infamous for being unreliable.

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
Delphi, so it looks to be OEM.
I need to do a smoke test then and see if I need to get intake manifold gaskets.
My 0101 code came back but the 171 and 174 have not yet. I'll do a smoke test with a cigar in a few to check it. Standby

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
did not see a leak anywhere, I also tried the TB cleaner, didn't try water though....just don't have a spray bottle to use for it.
If I put smoke in there, and no leaks...I'm guessing it's just the MAF I need to replace. Well as long as it gets me through this smog check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons