Override / Temporarily disabling Auto Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CooperS7777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long story short, I store my boat next to my house on a pad we've leveled for storage. When I back the trailer into this spot, my 17' Denali is on a decent incline, and with auto level its damn near impossible to unhook the trailer without putting ~16" worth of cribbing under the tongue jack if I forget to shut it off before I try to unhook the trailer.

Is there a work around to this? Or am I stuck screwing around for another 30 minutes if I forget to shut it off first?

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install an air release valve into the lines to your air shocks. Put it where you can reach it easily. Make it momentary so it cant be left open by accident. When you back in, shut the truck off and release the pressure.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by forget to shut it off before unhooking the trailer? The air suspension reaction times is ridiculous. I have the same problem unhooking my boat. I generally jack the trailer up until I see pressure come off the receiver, stand on rear bumper and jump up and down a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

CooperS7777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by forget to shut it off before unhooking the trailer? The air suspension reaction times is ridiculous. I have the same problem unhooking my boat. I generally jack the trailer up until I see pressure come off the receiver, stand on rear bumper and jump up and down a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 17' followed the hitch as I cranked down the jack.

oceanwanderlust

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Created an account to second this problem: My toy hauler is parked nearly flush to the house to fit in the driveway and tilts into the house roof when I lift the trailer tongue off my Tahoe. If I could empty the auto-level bags, I could get the trailer off the hitch much lower.

Solution 1 - Add an air release valve. Do people with air bags normally have manual release valves? Where would I get something like this?

Solution 2 - Manually activate the exhaust solenoid. From what I've read, the solenoid is on the pump unit and has a blue and white wire (which should have 22ohms). I imagine I should be able to splice in either 12v or ground to manually activate it?

Solution 3 - Automatically Activate the exhaust solenoid. It sounds like there is a scan tool function to re-calibrate the auto-level system. It would be a convenient coincidence if one of these commands could trip the solenoid.

Any other ideas or input??

joe

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) manual release valve would only require a tee into the existing airline, routed to a convenient spot, with an airtight/good-sealing ball or needle valve.

I would think, I don't have the bags...

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, another thought...

I assume the auto-level works even with the vehicle off, key removed. Can you pull a fuse for it, hitched up, then try to un-hitch? If this works, you could then add a switch for convenience.

oceanwanderlust

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I can pull a fuse to disable the compressor, which I will do next time I hitch up, but if I am parking and they are pumped-up, they take a long time to go back down as OP mentions.

I was originally thinking two release valves, but if there are no check valves between the bags and I'd need just one release valve as dbbbd1 suggests, that might be the easiest.

I've seen some replacement air hoses which could probably give me an idea of the measurements, but where/what should I look for a release valve???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972