Overlanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertRat

Reaction score
I looked at that one. It looks awesome but it's like $1200. They have ones for the Tahoe and Suburban too.

I'm currently looking into modifying one of the many racks available for the 4Runner. Prinsu Designs has beautiful racks in many different sizes for the 4Runner for $600-700.

I was jonesing for that rack before I sold my 4runner. Unless they've changed the design (too lazy to look right now), the crossbars were extruded aluminum, side rails were flat metal and angle brackets were used for mounts. I plan to build something similar for my Tahoe when time allows.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I was jonesing for that rack before I sold my 4runner. Unless they've changed the design (too lazy to look right now), the crossbars were extruded aluminum, side rails were flat metal and angle brackets were used for mounts. I plan to build something similar for my Tahoe when time allows.

They are pretty easy to make but, when you weld the angle on be sure to adjust it first because they are not 90 degrees.

Neill Campbell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

Regroup, organize your thoughts, and try to put forth a coherent argument that refutes the points I have brought up ... or at the very least stop misinforming people. Practically no one starts overland builds with these trucks for good reasons.

You think I'm mean to you ... try posting your wisdoms on EP and let's see how that goes for you.

And I'm in AZ all of November ... you're welcome to join us on the 'back way' Phoenix to Crown King rd with your rig. It's a 7ish/10 on the difficulty scale so you should breeze right through it.

You come across as condescending with a narrow view and itching for an internet argument.

TroySmith80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What a dumpster fire. Not sure what soulsea is so upset about, definitely disheartening to see a mod being so combative. The most helpful thing he said was this:
"I really think the reason for most disagreement on this subject is because people are saying different things when they say overlanding."

That much i agree with wholeheartedly.

I couldn't bear to read anymore past that.

Overlanding is such a stupid and misused term, it drives me crazy. Surely we can agree that it is not a word with a narrow and specific definition, anx as such what vehicles are or are not good choices depend on a more specific description of the driver's needs.

Tahoe/yukon/suburban is among the best vehicles for a person who values capacity, comfort, affordability, reliability and mild to moderate off road ability.

If you want something capable of majorly difficult off road trails, you're going to have to spend more money and/or give up on some of those other values, no matter what vehicle you choose.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darn, was hoping 07+. Like to see what's done with the platform.

Still very cool build. Thanks.
I am of the opinion if you want to build the 07~14 up then like the border patrol units your going to have to cut the bumpers, remove the running boards. then have custom front and rear bumpers fabricated especially if you want a winch setup, then skid plates like the border patrol units, skid plate for the gas tank, then beef up the rest of the drivetrain and suspension, disable the airbags, wont be a rock crawler but could be a fairly capable vehicle. unfortunately there just isn't much out there aftermarket wise for this kind of thing so it's not really cost effective to do. due to wheel base length it might not get to the same places that a cj7 would but it could still be just as fun. who's willing to drop 20-40k and give it shot? lol