Overlanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ever tried these Bic Flamedisk ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIC-Flame-...589511?hash=item4b672d9c07:g:TtcAAOSwoz9dI1Nm

these are pretty handy, they burn for along time and you can just smother it to put it out and use it again later if you didn't use all the fuel, there about the size of a medium pizza so you can stash them away pretty easy.

That's cool but no replacement for a nice piece of cherry or hickory!

Still have lots and lots of military Trioxane Fuel Tabs and those little pocket stoves and the stoves that fit around the base of a canteen cup. But love cooking over a wood fire, nothing better IMO.

Terry Stewart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting thread.
I have a 01 Tahoe LT I 4x4 I picked up really cheap. It’s in good condition and is already set up to be towed behind the RV.
I’m thinking of a 6” rough country lift and 35” tires should allow me some decent access for long weekend trips to the deserts here in So Ca.
I plan on eventually getting a front bumper w a winch and rear bumper to mount the spare behind the vehicle.

I believe I can get this done for around $7k installing some of it myself.

Tozan your experiences look about right and you’re doing them with a 4” lift..do you wish u would have gone with more lift? Or a body lift?

soulsea I found your input educational. You are speaking from experience and major study on the subject. Thanks

All things are a trade off in our hobbies. We need to figure what we’re willing to give up, to gain something we think fits our personal needs more.
And of course the $$$ we are willing to invest.
You guys with experience can help us neophytes Save a bunch of anguish and money.
Thanks for the input

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting thread.
I have a 01 Tahoe LT I 4x4 I picked up really cheap. It’s in good condition and is already set up to be towed behind the RV.
I’m thinking of a 6” rough country lift and 35” tires should allow me some decent access for long weekend trips to the deserts here in So Ca.
I plan on eventually getting a front bumper w a winch and rear bumper to mount the spare behind the vehicle.

I believe I can get this done for around $7k installing some of it myself.

Tozan your experiences look about right and you’re doing them with a 4” lift..do you wish u would have gone with more lift? Or a body lift?

soulsea I found your input educational. You are speaking from experience and major study on the subject. Thanks

All things are a trade off in our hobbies. We need to figure what we’re willing to give up, to gain something we think fits our personal needs more.
And of course the $$$ we are willing to invest.
You guys with experience can help us neophytes Save a bunch of anguish and money.
Thanks for the input

I have had no problem with a 4 inch lift it has never been a problem so far and I have never been stuck in at least a 1000 miles off road this year. When or if I do it again I would use a 4 inch Baja Kit Prerunner lift with 11.5 inches of travel up front and King shocks front and rear. But that set up is very pricey over 5 grand. I see no problem with a more affordable quality 6 inch lift kit it will give you a little more room with 35 tires. My Tahoe is a very comfortable ride and handles fine I have had it to 80 mph in the dirt and 110 on pavement. These big rigs are getting very popular in overland style camping and travel. I have seen a lot of Suburbans out there too.

Gearing: If I did it again or if I blow up the motor in it now, or maybe anyway... lol I might install either a blower or a 7.2 ltr crate motor instead of changing the gearing.

Good luck with your build and be sure to post up photos...

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
And I'm in AZ all of November ... you're welcome to join us on the 'back way' Phoenix to Crown King rd with your rig. It's a 7ish/10 on the difficulty scale so you should breeze right through it.

Who is organizing this run and when are you doing it?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool articles in the November 2019 issue of Four Wheeler magazine on Overlanding. Quite a variety of vehicles and as such an AWD Yukon XL Denali might look out of place but would certainly be as capable, if not more so, than the majority of the participants in those photos.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Cool articles in the November 2019 issue of Four Wheeler magazine on Overlanding. Quite a variety of vehicles and as such an AWD Yukon XL Denali might look out of place but would certainly be as capable, if not more so, than the majority of the participants in those photos.

I see a lot of suburbans and other GM SUV's out there and their numbers keep growing on all of the overland sites. Full size over landers are out numbering jeeps.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of suburbans and other GM SUV's out there and their numbers keep growing on all of the overland sites. Full size over landers are out numbering jeeps.

They are really relegated to daytime duty for all but the most rugged of individuals because or their limited endurance (people wise) and payload capacity. Good to hear about the bigger vehicles. Please post up some more pics when you come across them. Someday I'll get mine shod with 33s or 35s...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts