Overlanding with my Tahoe (warning - lots of pictures!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be honest i had an older YJ and i must say i pefer the tahoe you are right with most of that simply because jeeps are built for that intended purpose but i found it too easy to wheel a jeep almost anybody can hop in a jeep and trail ride but a vehicle that weighs almost double and is bigger takes more skill and is more fun IMO . dont get me wrong jeeps are great but i found my love with GM and my yukonyou turn more heads at offroad events because its uncommon to see such a large rig playing with the jeeps. im jealous you have the diesel awesome torque perfect platform id say sell the jeep , i couldnt afford both projects either

OP
OP
A

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My username says it all... :cool:

Hee hee hee!

It's good to see you on over at Expedition Portal!

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.

Casey

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Just for fun, here's a few pics of my Jeep:

P2180048.jpg

P2180099.jpg

P2180100.jpg

She's a 97 TJ with a puny 2.5L 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, and 31x10.50 mud terrain tires. I have a 3.25" Rough Country lift on it, so I have room for bigger tires, but just no budget! :( Like I said, it's kind of tough having two hobbies and two trucks, along with with supporting a wife and two kids on only one income!!

I put a Lock Right locker in the front last fall, and now she really pulls ******* those hill climbs! I can usually keep up with most larger rigs by picking the right line and keeping my tires planted in the right spots. In fact, I'm almost always the guy with the smallest tires when out on trail runs.

The worst thing about my Jeep is the 4 cylinder. She really lacks the necessary grunt to move down the highway. Off-road is no problem, but trying to get over 60mph is quite a chore. That's another reason I'm hesitant to upgrade to larger tires.

A lot of times I'll just tow my Jeep to the trails behind my Tahoe. But that actually takes a lot of fun out of it if you ask me.

I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy these hobbies, though. God's been very good to me.

Casey

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Another pic for ya..... my two favorite two doors!! :D

HPIM4372.jpg

Casey

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like the jeep but i think your in the same boat as i was early last year i wish i still had the old jeep but i just couldnt afford modding both vehicles gettin rid of the jeep was hard but it was worth it IMO

redaddiction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I'm planning on going through the Southwest with our two door Tahoe next week. Threw a rack on it, adding a solar panel and fridge to enjoy the over landing experience.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hee hee hee!

It's good to see you on over at Expedition Portal!

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.

Casey

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Just for fun, here's a few pics of my Jeep:

View attachment 290647

View attachment 290648

View attachment 290649

She's a 97 TJ with a puny 2.5L 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, and 31x10.50 mud terrain tires. I have a 3.25" Rough Country lift on it, so I have room for bigger tires, but just no budget! :( Like I said, it's kind of tough having two hobbies and two trucks, along with with supporting a wife and two kids on only one income!!

I put a Lock Right locker in the front last fall, and now she really pulls ******* those hill climbs! I can usually keep up with most larger rigs by picking the right line and keeping my tires planted in the right spots. In fact, I'm almost always the guy with the smallest tires when out on trail runs.

The worst thing about my Jeep is the 4 cylinder. She really lacks the necessary grunt to move down the highway. Off-road is no problem, but trying to get over 60mph is quite a chore. That's another reason I'm hesitant to upgrade to larger tires.

A lot of times I'll just tow my Jeep to the trails behind my Tahoe. But that actually takes a lot of fun out of it if you ask me.

I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy these hobbies, though. God's been very good to me.

Casey

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Another pic for ya..... my two favorite two doors!! :D

View attachment 290650

Casey
I know this is an old post. Google brought me Herr, even though I'm a member. I'm new to overlanding, but have enjoyed all that I've explored. Do you have an specific trail names or routes from what your pics show? I live in WI and am always looking for reasons to see new places.

Thanks, and cool pics!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I know this is an old post. Google brought me Herr, even though I'm a member. I'm new to overlanding, but have enjoyed all that I've explored. Do you have an specific trail names or routes from what your pics show? I live in WI and am always looking for reasons to see new places.

Thanks, and cool pics!
@B-train, I used to live in KC, Mo. and my best friend moved from there to Eureka Springs, Ar., which is literally a stones throw away from that area. Lots of trails down there and if you like lakes, there is a place called Beaver Lake that is fantastic. The Lake of the Ozarks is close as well and so is Branson, Mo. It is a great area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts