Overlanding with my Tahoe (warning - lots of pictures!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig is mostly stock, but I've done three overlanding trips with my Tahoe over the past 1.5 years. All three have been through the Ozark National Forest in Northwest Arkansas, based between Harrison and Russellville. I've had a great time wheeling and camping with my rig.

I've come from a background of true off-roading with my '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ that's lifted and locked in the front. But I actually prefer the overland/expedition type of wheeling where it's more about driving and camping than it is about conquering technical terrain. 4WD is necessary, but you don't need a hardcore rig.

Here's a few pics from those trips:

HPIM5238.jpg

HPIM5304.jpg

HPIM5312.jpg

HPIM5314.jpg

HPIM5315.jpg

HPIM5333.jpg

PA280063.jpg

PA280067.jpg

PA280073.jpg

PA280080.jpg

PA290084.jpg

PA290107.jpg

PA290106.jpg

PA290127.jpg

PA290126.jpg

HPIM4479.jpg

HPIM4488.jpg

Some of the things I've learned about my rig: it's rather large for this area of the country. Most forest trails are quite narrow and overgrown. I have gotten several 'pinstripes' from tree limbs. My Jeep fits down the trails much better. The Jeep also performs better, has better traction and axle articulation. However, the Tahoe has leather seats, cruise, and a/c! :D The Tahoe also has more room for camping gear and people. I would enjoy a roof top tent, but doubt I would be able to clear under all the low-hanging branches and downed trees in the area where I camp.

I'd like to have larger tires and more ground clearance, but am undecided if I want to install a lift or not.

I keep having this internal conflict: do I sell the Jeep to fund a Tahoe expedition build? Or do I just enjoy both worlds, and not have enough money to build both rigs?

Casey

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing pics man! That looks like fun and it's cool to see someone using their SUV for more than pavement pounding like 99% of us :D

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow that really looks like a lot of fun... I say sell the jeep and get a real good suspension lift with some nitto trail grapplers!!

OP
OP
A

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It is a lot of fun.

Lucky bastard. We only have flat land in tx:(

I guess that's why we usually have several Texas residents join us when we do the Arkansas trips! Central/Northwest Arkansas is absolutely gorgeous with the gentle rolling mountains.

Casey

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Very cool, and like Jacob said, Kudos for actually using it for off road. I cringe if I have to take mine up my friend's dirt driveway.........but I am obsessive/ compulsive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons