Ouch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir you are right I do the same . The two things that came out of her mouth was. I am having a bad day, I responded ... well it just got worse now didn't it. Then she goes on to say can we not go through insurance, my response was uhh there has to be exchanging of insurance and registration then you must go to the police station to have this reported. Then that will be dealt with in due time.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Got joe in hand too ☕️. Take it to a body shop, let them look it over by removing the bumper cover. That means you’ll need a rental for a day or two.

I’d pull a Carfax on your truck and confirm it’s status. Here’s the other thing, depending on when your planning on selling your vehicle, Carfax will lovingly document this episode on their history. It’s a Catch 22. If you believe having a one owner, zero accident vehicle is paramount to selling your truck one day, don’t let the other party insurance document any damage. I’ll explain how I avoided that in a minute.

If you’re past that point, drop the car off at a shop, get a rental, have them pull the cover, verify the bumper behind it is’t damaged. Also have them verify the frame is straight and the tow hitch is not compromised in any manner. Have them DOCUMENT it’s inspected and undamaged or let them loose on the repairs while you have a rental.

Have any other body work that needs to be done? Stuff like peeling clear coat? Now is the time to negotiate with the shop to have if fixed while they have that color in the sprayer and they can pass a lot of the cost on to the insurance just because the car is already there.

Lastly, if the rear bumper cover is going to be replaced, remember the option of using the Cadillac Escalade Premium rear valence w/ dual exhaust tips. It’s just a little more than the OE cover but completely transforms the look of the truck. A muffler shop will have to rework your exhaust after it’s in but you can drive it out with the OE exhaust out the side until you do.

344168c4ae593a79cdbe35e3dbe8f5a1.jpg

The Cadillac valence means you’ll lose your spare underneath and carry a kit like the Cadillac with a can of sealer and 12 air pump. Consider all the options based on your current and future plans. When our 08 Denali XL was bumped on its cover, it had to be replaced. I regret not adding the rear valence. I forgot about it in the hoopla. When I sold it a year later I had to send Carfax documents and a statement, including a map I drew up for my insurance company. They changed their report from “Rear End Collision!” to “minor parking lot damage”. My version of the accident was verifiable from the insurance company vs. “what the facts were I was informing them of”.

Not sure what state your in but you may want to call your Insurance company and verify if your insurance will not raise your rates if you have them handle the claim. This is what I did and that’s why I was able to have MY insurance companies documentation correct the Carfax reporting.

Good Luck!

Sorry, didn’t notice I was in the <06 forums. I guess I could mention substitute for a Denali monochrome style rear bumper

50ce705dfac88a458e9e5741c51e1bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got joe in hand too ☕️. Take it to a body shop, let them look it over by removing the bumper cover. That means you’ll need a rental for a day or two.

I’d pull a Carfax on your truck and confirm it’s status. Here’s the other thing, depending on when your planning on selling your vehicle, Carfax will lovingly document this episode on their history. It’s a Catch 22. If you believe having a one owner, zero accident vehicle is paramount to selling your truck one day, don’t let the other party insurance document any damage. I’ll explain how I avoided that in a minute.

If you’re past that point, drop the car off at a shop, get a rental, have them pull the cover, verify the bumper behind it is’t damaged. Also have them verify the frame is straight and the tow hitch is not compromised in any manner. Have them DOCUMENT it’s inspected and undamaged or let them loose on the repairs while you have a rental.

Have any other body work that needs to be done? Stuff like peeling clear coat? Now is the time to negotiate with the shop to have if fixed while they have that color in the sprayer and they can pass a lot of the cost on to the insurance just because the car is already there.

Lastly, if the rear bumper cover is going to be replaced, remember the option of using the Cadillac Escalade Premium rear valence w/ dual exhaust tips. It’s just a little more than the OE cover but completely transforms the look of the truck. A muffler shop will have to rework your exhaust after it’s in but you can drive it out with the OE exhaust out the side until you do.

344168c4ae593a79cdbe35e3dbe8f5a1.jpg

The Cadillac valence means you’ll lose your spare underneath and carry a kit like the Cadillac with a can of sealer and 12 air pump. Consider all the options based on your current and future plans. When our 08 Denali XL was bumped on its cover, it had to be replaced. I regret not adding the rear valence. I forgot about it in the hoopla. When I sold it a year later I had to send Carfax documents and a statement, including a map I drew up for my insurance company. They changed their report from “Rear End Collision!” to “minor parking lot damage”. My version of the accident was verifiable from the insurance company vs. “what the facts were I was informing them of”.

Not sure what state your in but you may want to call your Insurance company and verify if your insurance will not raise your rates if you have them handle the claim. This is what I did and that’s why I was able to have MY insurance companies documentation correct the Carfax reporting.

Good Luck!

Sorry, didn’t notice I was in the <06 forums. I guess I could mention substitute for a Denali monochrome style rear bumper

50ce705dfac88a458e9e5741c51e1bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I put this on my 03 Tahoe.20190824_080757.jpg

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the stock look, but as for documenting you bet I will have that done. I plan on keeping her she has 431 000km's on her and plan to drive her until nothing is left of her. I will be asking for a rental for sure, I have it booked for estimate for tomorrow it's a good shop that I am dealing with as I have had work done by them before. I like chrome look.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2009 Tahoe has had the rear bumper cover hit FIVE TIMES!

After the first time, I took it to a body shop and was told it would be $1400 if I used insurance, $1000 if I paid for it myself. I have $1000 deductible insurance, so I bought a new bumper cover and paint and did it myself. It was only about 3 weeks before somebody else hit it. Then again, and again... I thought about just painting a bullseye on it. The damage has always been minor, a crack here, a scrap there. Not worth replacing the bumper cover again in my mind.

On another note, my wife was sitting in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant, eating lunch and listening to the radio. Another woman parked next to her and opened her door, hitting our car quite hard. My wife rolled down the window and told her to watch what she was doing. The other gal said, "Sorry, I didn't see you sitting there." Like that would make a difference????

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I have dash cams in all on my cars. I have two fairly new and nice vehicles and an old beater truck with most of the paint falling off. The nice cars get cut off and nearly hit repeatedly. The truck with most of the paint missing rarely gets cut off.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it me or are people dumber than dirt. I was on my way to the gym trying to turn right , as I was waiting for a clearing in traffic ...... BANG then BANG again. I get out to see the right side of the rear bumper banged up. Geez do people not see black vehicle stopped. Yes it can and will be repaired she was totally in the wrong and her insurance has accepted fault, but dang open up your f*!@$#*&^ eyes. I looked underneath and as far as I can tell it is only the bumper, the bumper pads have scuffing on them and also the bumper bracket is bent is there anything else to look for. Thanks for reading my rant.

One might say I'm cynical, but I have to answer your question with "HELL YES!!". I swear, as I get older, people seem to be getting stupider. I can't drive 10 minutes, anywhere and not see some dipsh*t reading their phone, perusing a magazine, (I once saw a guy with his laptop propped up on his steering wheel while driving at 75+ on the freeway).... The struggle is real. Those of "us" smarter than the average mouth breather see them, everywhere.. it's like someone left the flipping gate open and an entire generation of morons were freed. I have this (awful) habit of looking around how many people are on their phones at stop lights.... everyone! Grannies texting knitting comparisons, teenagers swiping right or left, men looking for nude photos... (cough cough, nothing wrong with that, as long as your not driving while doing it... hack), everyone! Speed limits? Ha- Stop signs? Puh-lease.. It's enough to make a priest curse. I'm not describing the above average mentality person, who goofs up, no one's perfect, it happens to us all. But COME ON! Pay attention (as you said, very well I might add) and instead of just "going along for the ride, like a GD passenger in your car, truck whatevs..., REMEMBER you are piloting 3000 lbs (+/-) of metal, plastic and glass at velocities powerful enough to ***** out another human's light switch- "Click", just like that, dead. How many say (after the fact) "Oh, gosh, if I'd only been paying attention"... Well, here it is, with the magic process of common sense, PAY ATTENTION NOW! LOL- Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, or reiterate/fuel your frustration, but clearly you touched a nerve... LOL- Safe week all and I hope it's not too much of a hassle to get your rig fixed and carry on with your life. I'll get down offa my soapbox now. :)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One might say I'm cynical, but I have to answer your question with "HELL YES!!". I swear, as I get older, people seem to be getting stupider. I can't drive 10 minutes, anywhere and not see some dipsh*t reading their phone, perusing a magazine, (I once saw a guy with his laptop propped up on his steering wheel while driving at 75+ on the freeway).... The struggle is real. Those of "us" smarter than the average mouth breather see them, everywhere.. it's like someone left the flipping gate open and an entire generation of morons were freed. I have this (awful) habit of looking around how many people are on their phones at stop lights.... everyone! Grannies texting knitting comparisons, teenagers swiping right or left, men looking for nude photos... (cough cough, nothing wrong with that, as long as your not driving while doing it... hack), everyone! Speed limits? Ha- Stop signs? Puh-lease.. It's enough to make a priest curse. I'm not describing the above average mentality person, who goofs up, no one's perfect, it happens to us all. But COME ON! Pay attention (as you said, very well I might add) and instead of just "going along for the ride, like a GD passenger in your car, truck whatevs..., REMEMBER you are piloting 3000 lbs (+/-) of metal, plastic and glass at velocities powerful enough to ***** out another human's light switch- "Click", just like that, dead. How many say (after the fact) "Oh, gosh, if I'd only been paying attention"... Well, here it is, with the magic process of common sense, PAY ATTENTION NOW! LOL- Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, or reiterate/fuel your frustration, but clearly you touched a nerve... LOL- Safe week all and I hope it's not too much of a hassle to get your rig fixed and carry on with your life. I'll get down offa my soapbox now. :)

Great post.