OTA Update on 2021 Yukon Denali seems to have bricked my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wonder if it's a coding thing (I promise I won't get on the soapbox again). Probably it has to connect to verify the update you have is the latest or within 2 or 3 revs or whatever before actually installing it. It is, however, good to know as I also have at&t and reception is spotty at times at our house.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was a sunny day so I took the rig for a quick drive to town and parked in the Walmart parking lot. Ran the update and success! It only took ~5 minutes to complete.

Build # is now W149E-W163.3.2

Moral of the story - make sure you have a strong data connection to your rig when performing an OTA update.
I think you have not received the latest update. I had my 22 Yukon in to the dealer last week for oil change and infotainment update and I now show W165... as the current version.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have not received the latest update. I had my 22 Yukon in to the dealer last week for oil change and infotainment update and I now show W165... as the current version.
Good to know! I’m wondering if that’s the update for the DRL recall? The update I installed said it would prepare my rig for future updates. My guess is during holiday travels it will download any pending updates and I’ll install them when we get home.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! I’m wondering if that’s the update for the DRL recall? The update I installed said it would prepare my rig for future updates. My guess is during holiday travels it will download any pending updates and I’ll install them when we get home.
Nope, I had that done too and is a BCM flash for that one. They do no OTA updates for BCM.

kerrijeanmcdaniel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's another. I was out of town for nine days and the hoe was in the garage, locked. Returned Saturday and the battery was dead. My voltmeter said it had 3.6 volts on board. Called roadside assist, they jump started it, ran it for 40 minutes, and put back in garage. Sunday morning no start. The DIC was showing all sorts of warnings, and I even got an email telling me to take it to the dealer immediately. Towed to dealer and been there three days waiting to get in line.They promise tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the thing....I did not know an update was inbound or was happening while I was gone. After reading this thread I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to be sure they are aware of this issue.
Keep me updated on yours!!! Mine got towed on Wednesday. Same thing. Got in to try to start it, every light inside came on, heater was running, it was throwing all sorts of errors on the screen and telling me to hit the button again to start. Radio worked and everything, but it would not let me shut anything off and would not actually turn over the engine or start it! I could not disconnect the battery because I did not have the tools. I could not shift it to neutral manually or by pushing neutral, so I had to call a flatbed to come tow it to the dealer. It's a 2021 Tahoe Z71 4x4. I do not know if my vehicle received an update or not one was trying to download for about a week but kept saying it failed to download so who knows. The dealership has NO CLUE what is going on with it. I have tried to tell them stuff on this thread to check but they keep doing their own thing. They have hardly even looked at it. I am so beyond frustrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs