Opinions of this 2002 TrailBlazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, after looking at that ad, I do believe it's overpriced by about $2500- $3000 or so. And that's assuming there's NO other issues with it. You did the right thing walking away since he refused to come down any more than $1500.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Drove it, was ok except for what sounded like excessive valve train noise, no coolant in reservoir and after roadtest was down an inch, broken driver's door grab handle...etc.
I offered $3k less than what was asked and they came back with $1500 less and I walked. Going Monday to look at a 2005 Highlander and 2006 4Runner.
The valve train noise was normal. Ours has always sounded like a sowing machine. Loosing coolant is another story.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wonder what they towed with it. Hitch has been used. Was there a brake controller installed at one time or another? 4 pin or 7 pin trailer wiring?

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it, was ok except for what sounded like excessive valve train noise, no coolant in reservoir and after roadtest was down an inch, broken driver's door grab handle...etc.
I offered $3k less than what was asked and they came back with $1500 less and I walked. Going Monday to look at a 2005 Highlander and 2006 4Runner.

Cars are like buses. There will be another one along. You're right to walk with low coolant. Either it has a leak (maybe a hose, maybe a head gasket) or was just not maintained. I'm not looking for another rebuild project but I'm looking to watch the market and there is some high priced junk out there.

On the Highlander and 4Runner, make sure of when the timing belt and water pump was replaced. I worked with a guy who bought a Highlander. Great car. However, I told him repeatedly to replace the timing belt. I think it's due at either 60,000 or 90,000 miles. At 167,000 miles, he was driving down to Georgia and threw the belt destroying the engine.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Highlander that's posted has the V6 3.3L non-interference engine, with a timing belt change interval of 90K miles. That interval was either extended or it's been replaced twice; doesn't seem to be an issue in this case since it was done at 139K miles. There should be a sticker on the cover indicating the date and mileage of the replacement.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wonder what they towed with it. Hitch has been used. Was there a brake controller installed at one time or another? 4 pin or 7 pin trailer wiring?
Saw a hitch, no controller and did not look for a 4 pin or 7 pin plug in.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Cars are like buses. There will be another one along. You're right to walk with low coolant. Either it has a leak (maybe a hose, maybe a head gasket) or was just not maintained. I'm not looking for another rebuild project but I'm looking to watch the market and there is some high priced junk out there.

On the Highlander and 4Runner, make sure of when the timing belt and water pump was replaced. I worked with a guy who bought a Highlander. Great car. However, I told him repeatedly to replace the timing belt. I think it's due at either 60,000 or 90,000 miles. At 167,000 miles, he was driving down to Georgia and threw the belt destroying the engine.
The info supplied with the Highlander ad post says the timing belt was replaced at about 139k and the water pump and tensioners were done too. The shocks and struts done as well and I talked to the family office lady/salesman and she said they have all the repair/maintenance records for all this because the previous owner traded it in to them and supplied all that.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I know the used vehicle market is starting to come down on prices because of what I see, willingness to negotiate and I see full lots. We NEED a smaller vehicle than her 90 K2500 extended cab with 128k miles for her to drive because she doesn't like to drive the Tahoe because she is afraid of an idiot hitting it when she does. She loves the Tahoe but is afraid to drive it, even though she man handles that K2500 truck no problem. She says, "The Tahoe is too nice for her to drive". We had another Highlander get away from us that was in primo shape and up to date on all things mechanical and no dents and in Eugene. Called and turns out another person got it about 15 minutes before we called. There is so much junk out there. The 05 Highlander got away for $6900. This 05 we are gonna see tomorrow is listed at $7800 and they will give a $200 off military discount and with cash, hope to get for $7500. All of this is if it is as nice as is represented. I was told by the sales lady that they do not negotiate and except for the discount, the price is what it is. The CarFax seems to indicate real regular maintenance visits and if needed repairs, it was done. Plus, she has driven about 3 Highlanders now and she really likes them.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The info supplied with the Highlander ad post says the timing belt was replaced at about 139k and the water pump and tensioners were done too. The shocks and struts done as well and I talked to the family office lady/salesman and she said they have all the repair/maintenance records for all this because the previous owner traded it in to them and supplied all that.

If she likes the Highlander and the price is decent, I'd say you may have found your next car. Toyota still had a premium reputation when it was built.

Toyota and Honda have slipped slightly from #1 and #2 to #2 and #3. That's still pretty darn good though.

For the last 30-40 years, the worst car built is still better than the best car built 10 years before. Especially since 1990 when the last carbureted car was sold in America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu