Opinion on OEM Wheels - 2015 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper has 3 yr/100k nationwide parts and labor warranty. They have an extensive installer/warranty network > https://www.jasperengines.com/find-an-installer
I believe they are going with the Jasper transmission. I talked to them about both Jasper and GM units today. Based on what the mechanic said, I'm not sure I see a benefit from the GM over the Jasper. I'll never hit 100k in 3 years.

Nick

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got approval from warranty company. Sounds like the transmission is in fact a reman unit from LKQ. I should know more this coming week. Hopefully I have it back before the end of the week... or my first payment lol.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LKQ warranty looks about worthless, it says it only pays $50 an hour. Good luck finding any shop that will do that. Hopefully you have no more trouble with it.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the extended warranty on my Tahoe that covered the cost of this transmission. They said if the new one blows out it will cover another replacement in the next 36,000 miles or 3 years. So I'm not to super hung up on the transmission warranty itself. I'll just be happy to get it back.

Looking forward to replacing my well loved GMC canyon as my daily driver for work.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission is in, should be ready for pick up tomorrow. If I understood correctly, they were taking it next door to the GMC dealer to have it programmed? I was able to inspect it while on the lift and it's remarkably clean (then again I guess it's only 5 years old). Are all Tahoe frames coasted? It appears to have a rubbery/waxy coating on it. It does not appear to be any type of aftermarket coating as it appears to have been applied prior to installing the drivetrain.

Nick

Last edited:
OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp... Picked it up yesterday. I had drove roughly 50 miles problem free. Then all hell broke lose. I pulled in my driveway (it was dark). Shut it off, get out and it is smoking insanely bad. I look under it as oil is gushing all over the concrete section of my driveway.

Good news though. It was just a forgotten retaining clip and it didn't blow the line off until I was roughly an 1/8th mile or less from my house. I went today and picked up the retaining clip, Transfluid (8qts - took roughly 7.5qts) and fixed it. Dealership was very apologetic and offered to fix it. I wasn't waiting though... So they ordered everything from the nearest parts store for me.

Unfortunately... Everything is absolutely coated in transmission fluid underneath. I scrubbed everything on the exterior as the rear wheels, and back end were coated as well. Tomorrow I plan on using a foam cannon with some degreaser to clean it up underneath. Hoping to get it waxed as well. Hopefully this is the last "bad news" post I have. I'm really excited to finally get to enjoy it since I officially got it back in time to make my first car payment (which happened today). 07c1967f0521dd579f54aebd7b3e3c2c.jpg400e88157279c2e0419d3b35b8b1f557.jpg9e8ad619dd913101efb4358a0a330d85.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp... Picked it up yesterday. I had drove roughly 50 miles problem free. Then all hell broke lose. I pulled in my driveway (it was dark). Shut it off, get out and it is smoking insanely bad. I look under it as oil is gushing all over the concrete section of my driveway.

Good news though. It was just a forgotten retaining clip and it didn't blow the line off until I was roughly an 1/8th mile or less from my house. I went today and picked up the retaining clip, Transfluid (8qts - took roughly 7.5qts) and fixed it. Dealership was very apologetic and offered to fix it. I wasn't waiting though... So they ordered everything from the nearest parts store for me.

Unfortunately... Everything is absolutely coated in transmission fluid underneath. I scrubbed everything on the exterior as the rear wheels, and back end were coated as well. Tomorrow I plan on using a foam cannon with some degreaser to clean it up underneath. Hoping to get it waxed as well. Hopefully this is the last "bad news" post I have. I'm really excited to finally get to enjoy it since I officially got it back in time to make my first car payment (which happened today). 07c1967f0521dd579f54aebd7b3e3c2c.jpg400e88157279c2e0419d3b35b8b1f557.jpg9e8ad619dd913101efb4358a0a330d85.jpg

it's happened to me before, had it serviced and someone forgot to put the clip back on and 5 miles later giant puffs of smoke......
the good news is it will clean all the stuff underneath :D

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's happened to me before, had it serviced and someone forgot to put the clip back on and 5 miles later giant puffs of smoke......
the good news is it will clean all the stuff underneath :D
That was my thoughts as well lol. I'll clean it the best I can tomorrow and then on Monday I'll get it on my buddies lift at his shop. We are going to look at the exhaust and see if it is similar to the 2014 and older models. I would like to do the SLP resonator delete.... But it's designed for 2007-2014 models... So time to see what needs modified to fit.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my thoughts as well lol. I'll clean it the best I can tomorrow and then on Monday I'll get it on my buddies lift at his shop. We are going to look at the exhaust and see if it is similar to the 2014 and older models. I would like to do the SLP resonator delete.... But it's designed for 2007-2014 models... So time to see what needs modified to fit.

if you change the exhaust and get rid of that little flapper by the muffler you might want to turn off the 4 cylinder mode or it will sound weird

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT