One leak down, on to another…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to replacing my oil cooler block off plate that I suspected was leaking. Replaced it with a bullet block off plate that several of you recommended. Problem is I still have oil dripping onto my driveway. Not coming from oil pan, filter or block off plate. Maybe someone has an idea where to look next. The pics below are where I found the oil. The bolt with the oil is hanging down next to the filter to the right. The second photo had some oil seeping out a tiny bit from around the big “circle thingy”. I don’t even know what it’s called.

Attachments

• AC26DC3D-D5D0-4F26-918D-749A6B17F38C.jpeg
    AC26DC3D-D5D0-4F26-918D-749A6B17F38C.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3EF67C0A-90EE-4EA5-A279-EBB2EBD2246B.jpeg
    3EF67C0A-90EE-4EA5-A279-EBB2EBD2246B.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 9

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was gonna say likely the oil filter adaptor leaking but need to look inside the inspection cover and see if has oil in there from the rear main seal leaking. See if is wet in there. But before all that, use a light and a mirror and check for oil leak from the oil pressure sender and/or the back of valve covers or intake.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like valve covers or oil pressure sensor to me. Hopefully you’re dry under that inspection cover.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might not be the source of your leak and it may be of no importance, but it looks to me like there is a crack in that casting between the two inspection cover/plug/things.

Is that anything that needs attention or is that ignorable?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might not be the source of your leak and it may be of no importance, but it looks to me like there is a crack in that casting between the two inspection cover/plug/things.

Is that anything that needs attention or is that ignorable?
It does look cracked. I hope not. That would be the bell housing, no?

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe that’s a crack. Looks more like an oil saturation line. I haven’t broken into the inspection cover yet but it is totally wet with oil now. Also, the lower edge of the oil pan has an oil line along the bottom. Apparently replacing the oil block off didn’t do anything. Probably wasn’t even bad.

Even better is I have a small leak around where the drive line connects into the transmission.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this was from a couple weeks ago but there is an oil seepage where the transmission housing connection is.

Attachments

• A6361CFA-F2FD-4292-A142-643FC0C97F18.jpeg
    A6361CFA-F2FD-4292-A142-643FC0C97F18.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
I don’t believe that’s a crack. Looks more like an oil saturation line. I haven’t broken into the inspection cover yet but it is totally wet with oil now. Also, the lower edge of the oil pan has an oil line along the bottom. Apparently replacing the oil block off didn’t do anything. Probably wasn’t even bad.

Even better is I have a small leak around where the drive line connects into the transmission.
It’s very unlikely the bell housing is cracked; I actually don’t think ive ever seen one come in with a crack on it like that…even if it was, worst case, you just replace it with a good used bell housing ($50-75 at hard parts supplier or junk yard - you’ll need a Torx Plus 50 socket and 1/2” impact for removing those bell-transmission bolts).

As far as the oil leak is concerned, if you’re having trouble pin pointing it, you can use a leak detection dye and black light. Ive used them in the past to find hard to source leaks…clean up as much oil as you can, pour it in where you fill the oil, drive around for a bit then look around the engine with a uv / black light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s very unlikely the bell housing is cracked; I actually don’t think ive ever seen one come in with a crack on it like that…even if it was, worst case, you just replace it with a good used bell housing ($50-75 at hard parts supplier or junk yard - you’ll need a Torx Plus 50 socket and 1/2” impact for removing those bell-transmission bolts).

As far as the oil leak is concerned, if you’re having trouble pin pointing it, you can use a leak detection dye and black light. Ive used them in the past to find hard to source leaks…clean up as much oil as you can, pour it in where you fill the oil, drive around for a bit then look around the engine with a uv / black light.
That’s a great idea. Thanks. I’ll give that a try. The oil seems to sort of be coming from everywhere. It’s not a ton,but it’s annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues