On Start Up Engine Continues To Try To Start-SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabberjaw401

Reaction score
I recently drove to Florida and half way there my 2007 5.3 Flex Tahoe was hard to start. The truck acted like the starter would not disengage when attempting to start. I thought of the lock cylinder so I tried with the remote, and it also had the same issue, like the starter would not disengage, but there is no grinding with this issue. It makes me feel like the truck doesn't realize it has started and continues to try. I have replaced the starter, purge canister valve, oem battery ground wire to engine and body. I also ran another ground from the firewall to the alternator and pulled the engine fuse box out and cleaned all the contacts and slightly rubbed dielectric grease on all the connections. I also put a bottle of HEET in the tank. I have no CEL on, it just takes about three tries to start and then it runs absolutely perfect, 172,000 miles.

Attachments

• red_wrap (2).JPG
    red_wrap (2).JPG
    438.1 KB · Views: 2

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

The starting problem has nothing to do with the "running".

Since you replaced the starter, are you still saying it has the problem? Are you saying that the starter now works as should and the "three tries to start" are just a crank and no start and may have a starting the engine problem and not a cranking problem? You info is confusing as you started to post what you did.

OP
OP
jabberjaw401

jabberjaw401

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

The starting problem has nothing to do with the "running".

Since you replaced the starter, are you still saying it has the problem? Are you saying that the starter now works as should and the "three tries to start" are just a crank and no start and may have a starting the engine problem and not a cranking problem? You info is confusing as you started to post what you did.
No difference, it still takes about three tries to start- the new starter had no affect on the start problem

OP
OP
jabberjaw401

jabberjaw401

Reaction score
No difference, it still takes about three tries to start- the new starter had no affect on the start problem. The truck cranks about three times, kinda sounds like it's choking out, then starts with a little like a back fire and then it's runs perfect.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In your initial complaint about the problem, you did not mention anything about taking three times to start. Basically your two comments did not jibe together because the first description of the problem did not match what you said after doing all that work and replacing parts. Confusing..........

The lock cylinder would not be a problem but an ignition switch could be. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1253283&cc=1433255&pt=4700&jsn=953

You said you replaced the starter. Did it come with a solenoid on it? Was the solenoid replaced?

Can you post a video of the noises it makes or is it just a feeling?

OP
OP
jabberjaw401

jabberjaw401

Reaction score
In your initial complaint about the problem, you did not mention anything about taking three times to start. Basically your two comments did not jibe together because the first description of the problem did not match what you said after doing all that work and replacing parts. Confusing..........

The lock cylinder would not be a problem but an ignition switch could be. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1253283&cc=1433255&pt=4700&jsn=953

You said you replaced the starter. Did it come with a solenoid on it? Was the solenoid replaced?

Can you post a video of the noises it makes or is it just a feeling?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not enough posts yet, I think. Have to have 85 posts to do that, if I remember right.

So, barring a video of it, can you describe noises for us. Have you ever heard what it sounds like when a starter drive is engaged to flex plate after starting engine? Have you heard what it sounds like when the starter drive gear does not engage or is not engaged in flex plate and is just spinning?

OP
OP
jabberjaw401

jabberjaw401

Reaction score
Not enough posts yet, I think. Have to have 85 posts to do that, if I remember right.

So, barring a video of it, can you describe noises for us. Have you ever heard what it sounds like when a starter drive is engaged to flex plate after starting engine? Have you heard what it sounds like when the starter drive gear does not engage or is not engaged in flex plate and is just spinning?
Yes, it does not grind like a person starting a car already started, it's like a dry crank with no fuel and then when it starts to catch fine it keeps trying to start?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98