On star antenna.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious has anyone used this for a cb radio? Seeing how on star doesn’t work on my 02 I thought about buying a cb and using that antenna. Just to try and keep things neat and clean. I searched but didn’t have much luck so sorry if this has been answered already.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no radio expert, but I've learned a few basics from a HAM operator friend. One of those basics is that the antenna size and design is a critical part of any radio and they are designed for the frequency range for which they intend to pick up.

On Star uses frequencies in the 824-835 MHz range, which is in the UHF (ultra high frequency) spectrum. The radio wave is very short (hence being called "short wave") so the antenna is designed and tuned accordingly.

CBs operate around the 27 MHz band. This is a comparatively long radio wave so it requires a very different antenna size than an On Star antenna to be effective.

So, even if you found an adapter to connect the antenna cable, it wouldn't work very well at all.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you not an expert but you know more than I do lol. Thanks for your advice guess I’ll be getting an antenna then. Was hoping it would work but that’s ok.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you not an expert but you know more than I do lol. Thanks for your advice guess I’ll be getting an antenna then. Was hoping it would work but that’s ok.

There is WAY more to it that that! My buddy/coworker and I drive a lot for work and we BS a lot on the phone to pass time. He's mentioned a few times about building different antennas and, so naturally, their design has come up in conversation. I'm not into HAM or CB or anything like that, but the science behind shaping a wire to pick up certain frequencies and contacting people around the world with what sounds like a very small amount of power (10 watts, etc.) is interesting.

It's just one tidbit of the plethora of (usually useless) information I fill my limited memory bank with. I'm glad to pass it along!

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol well I do appreciate it. Glad to know that it would have been waste of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons