On first start nothing then after a minute will turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
2012 Yukon Denali XL
152,000 and some change

I have been in the UK for the last 5 weeks for work, and my wife called saying the truck was trying not to start. She would turn the key on nothing and then try again, and it would start. After she was driving, no issues, but once in a while, it would return. Radio would act funny etc... I figured maybe they left something on, and the battery needed replacing; it's only 2 years old, but you never know. She has a good relationship with the dealer since COVID, and I'm constantly out of the country, and she feels safe going there. They socially distant, wear masks etc., so I just tell her to take it there. So she took it by when it had just happened. They look at it, nothing going on, set an appointment to bring it in the next day, test the battery, etc. They say nothing they can find after the test, don't think it is the alternator, and don't want to do a bench test as it will be $600, Thank you for that! So this week, they go out of town, leave the truck and take a rental. She gets in the truck today and turns the key and nothing keeps the key turned and then starts up either on the next try or eventually.

She sent me a video which I uploaded to youtube here.

I am of the mind to just get the starter replaced...

Any thoughts would be great! I'm still gone until mid-week and then home for a week and then off to Tokyo, so if I can deal with it, I will, but if I can point the shop to something that would be great to do as well. We are down to just the Yukon as we are selling stuff as we move to Australia in September, so nothing else for her to drive with her Honda gone.

I really appreciate any help or advice.

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disregard my original comment. I should of watched the video

I’m on board with starter or loose terminals

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said. A failing starter can work perfectly, then suddenly not work, then work again.

If you are mechanically inclined, you could get a starter rebuild kit. The hardest part is removing and installing the starter. Rebuilding the starter is easy and can be done in less than an hour (my time), or 15 minutes most others time.

Or perhaps your mechanic can rebuild the starter for you? The only reason I recommend rebuilding it is that you know all is good. I bought a brand new ACDelco starter and it failed within a week.

When I did mine, there was almost nothing left to the brushes. I was surprised it was working at all.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would first look at both battery terminals, take them off and clean them of any corrosion. Do the same for the large ground wires up front secured to the engine/body/frame. I would also check the wiring at the starter. When looking for corrosion, it is best to disassemble each point and clean before reassembling. They can look clean but be corroded at the mating surfaces.

I would also swap the Crank relay and the Starter relay (one at a time while trying to start) with one of the other relays in the fuse box (on the drivers side under the hood) you aren't using at the time, like rear defog.

Only after those all proved negative would I pull the starter and solenoid. Just the way I would approach it.

Last edited:

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace starters on all my cars once they got to the 150000 mile mark, so I'd not be surprised.

The starters for the stop/start system are supposed to be much better. We will see about those ones.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Thanks all just got back into the states going to get my hands dirty today and check a few things. Of course when they got to the airport wife and daughter stated that had not happened since the video. Ha always happens

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's what mine was like. I spent a year checking connections and grounds. It would seem to "work" for a few months, then the same problem. This happened on at least 2 of my vehicles. Knowing what I know now, and given your mileage, I'd rebuild the starter. Looking at your other posts, you definitely have the skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094