Old but new

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait till you show them the collection of crazy shaped distributor wrenches that you have. Then the blank look in their eyes about "what the hell is a distributor?"

If you ever tell them you can set the point gap with a match book cover the are going to flip out.

Its funny how things change (and dramatically improve) from generation to generation. My grandfather was a car buff, and he was one of the early adopters of cars, back in the day. I used to sit in front of him, spellbound, as he described what was routine maintenance, back in his time.

He told me that in his early cars, he had to change the engine bearings after about 10,000 miles. He would remove the bearing cap, push a brass rivet of some type into the oil hole in the journal, and rotate the crank, and push out the bearing on the back side of the journal.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That was back when you actually "repaired" problems instead of just throwing parts at them. To this day I can still see in my mind the gas price during gas wars and was at $.11.9 cents. Mosby Flats gas station near Excelsior Springs, Mo. I worked there once and actually cleaned windows and checked oil and air pressures and looked at the belts. Back when I could work there at 15 years old and my Dad had already showed me how to change oil and filter and change a tire and check out under the vehicle for problems. I miss those days, I truly do.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was back when you actually "repaired" problems instead of just throwing parts at them. To this day I can still see in my mind the gas price during gas wars and was at $.11.9 cents. Mosby Flats gas station near Excelsior Springs, Mo. I worked there once and actually cleaned windows and checked oil and air pressures and looked at the belts. Back when I could work there at 15 years old and my Dad had already showed me how to change oil and filter and change a tire and check out under the vehicle for problems. I miss those days, I truly do.

We had no money to replace parts. So, we either repaired them, using junkyard parts when available, or we walked.

Yes, I remember gas being under $0.25 per gallon. And continuing on the no extra money topic, I remember driving into the gas station, and usually asking for $2.00. It was a big deal, maybe payday, when you could actually say, "Fill it up.".

And.... As you state, at every gas station, there was a gas attendant who actually pumped the gas into your car, and while the tank was filling, the attendant checked your oil level and battery water and washed your windshield, without being asked, as part pf the service.

Yeah.... Memories.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its funny how things change (and dramatically improve) from generation to generation. My grandfather was a car buff, and he was one of the early adopters of cars, back in the day. I used to sit in front of him, spellbound, as he described what was routine maintenance, back in his time.

He told me that in his early cars, he had to change the engine bearings after about 10,000 miles. He would remove the bearing cap, push a brass rivet of some type into the oil hole in the journal, and rotate the crank, and push out the bearing on the back side of the journal.
I remember my grandfather telling stories of the early cars as well. He was born in 1904 and married my grandmother in 1930. Took my grandmother to Colorado, from eastern Iowa in his “old” Buick for their honeymoon. Said he had an extra axle, among other parts, and a bunch of patches for the tires in the car. He also made sure he had a gallon or two of water for the radiator just in case as well.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait till you show them the collection of crazy shaped distributor wrenches that you have.

Funny you mention this, I was just going through my tool box this weekend trying to make room and saw mine laying there was like, oh shit. I used to need you all the time now you are in the way LOL. Crazy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts