OK, What is your pick and is there a Top rated ATF ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dexron VI is not Full Synthetic. I use ACDelco but others find Red-Line tops. One guy has even recorded an increase in gas mileage by using Red-Line transmission fluid over the stock stuff. Check out "Grump Bear" build on Pepper over at GM-Trucks.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Well thank you Swathdiver, Can you use a full Full Synthetic ATF in the transfer case, and do anyone know of a magnetic drain plug for the transfer case ? And the differentials get standard 70/90 gear lube, at lease for the front diff, but the rear diff needs 'Limited Slip' fluid. What is this posi-traction diff get in the way of lubrication ?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thank you Swathdiver, Can you use a full Full Synthetic ATF in the transfer case, and do anyone know of a magnetic drain plug for the transfer case ? And the differentials get standard 70/90 gear lube, at lease for the front diff, but the rear diff needs 'Limited Slip' fluid. What is this posi-traction diff get in the way of lubrication ?

Dexron VI by ACDelco is today listed as Full Synthetic on the containers. So yes, use it. On my truck, the TC and front differential have magnetic drain plugs.

In the other post I listed what fluids go in the axles, they are different you do not need "posi-lube" if using the factory fluid. Aftermarket "may" be different.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Dexron VI by ACDelco is today listed as Full Synthetic on the containers. So yes, use it. On my truck, the TC and front differential have magnetic drain plugs.

In the other post I listed what fluids go in the axles, they are different you do not need "posi-lube" if using the factory fluid. Aftermarket "may" be different.

I was at a large GM dealership getting the front mono-tube shocks on my 2015 Tahoe and I asked about the transfer case drain plug and I was told by the service manger that the Transfer case on a 2015 Tahoe or Yukon , has a magnetic plug on the bottom Drain plug, so I did get an answer on that question. and the fluid is fine so long as it is a DEXRON VI and as you mentioned, there is not special lube for the back differential. I have a 308 and it is a Posi-traction. Thank you all for your help.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the diff. is what is called a "Gov-bomb" I think that is a G80 type then it doesn't need a special fluid because there are no clutches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts