ok to drive with air suspension not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Others can provide links to places I’ve mentioned. Self purchasing parts is approx $2h-$2.5h per corner and the same for the compressor.

Gouging may occur if they don’t have access to getting the parts locally. The important thing is you’ve got a few choices now. I recognize the dilemma of time you mentioned. Regardless you’ll have an awesome ride after it’s fixed.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you do any wrenching? The rear compressor and shocks are easy to replace, and no special tools are needed. At Rock Auto, a Dorman compressor should cost around $180, and the shocks (GM OEM) should cost around $260 each. I did them myself in about half a day.

As @petethepug stated, this is a great suspension, and in our opinion you won't get a better ride with any other aftermarket components. Full transparency - other Folks on this Forum may disagree with us, and that is fine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they didn't quote me 2-3 thousand. From what i have heard that is about what it costs. about how much should it cost for a auto repair shop to change the motor and shocks. This is a legit auto repair shop business so im not looking at a do it yourself price. I dont know if they will order the stuff from rockauto or who they get the parts from? I am out of town on vacation and bringing the car in on March 6th and want to drive it to the Black Hills SD on the 12th. I don't have the time or the knowledge to order all the parts they need to do the job. and for all I know they might not install customer bought parts? Thanks.
well lets see
1. you can always call and ask a shop if they will install a customer provided part, all they can say is no. my local chevy dealer will install anything I bring them they do not care they are making money on labor either way obviously any warranty is on me that's a given and will always be the case no matter who does it.
2. what you "heard" 2-3k is incorrect unless it's from people that got fleeced by whoever.....
3. you "could" do it yourself with some basic hand tools, you do not need a lift or anything special, rear shocks are done with the suspension static, preferably you want 2 jacks one to hold the vehicle when you take a wheel off and 1 to hold and slightly move the axle in place while you do the shock.
the pump has 3 bolts and a couple connectors. you can do it all in your driveway or garage in a couple hours.

rockauto: the rear shocks (arnott as2708 are $200 each plus a refundable $50 core) so $500 initial cost and $100 back when the old ones are returned
the dorman air pump is like $250-300 (shop around you could maybe find is less)
so basically you are looking at around $800 out of pocket cost, -$100 refunded so $700
then either you do it yourself or pay around 2hrs labor for a shop to do it
if you want a shop to do it and they will install your parts then just ask "how much to R&R the rear shocks and air pump" R&R is a short term for remove and replace

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s the golden info right there. My first experience w/ z55 on our 08 YXL Denali as at a Cadillac GMC dealership for a cracked radiator. They did a free safety check and found out the rear shocks were toast. I totally forgot we had a service contract and called them later to look into having them covered.

Two rear shocks and a radiator replacement was $2k but covered on the s/c. I still remember the feeling the service advisor gave me. He knew I was about to walk away or get robbed. I got lucky. I didn’t know to jump into a forum back then for solid advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9