Ok I'm a bit confused on the Trans cooler...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance right now, I haven't had the PPV long enough I guess. On our PPVs' the trans line goes into the radiator and then back out to the trans correct? So what is the small external cooler that we have in front of the radiator behind the grill? I haven't had a chance to follow the lines. I know the engine oil is the same as the trans but on the driver's side.

oil cooler.jpg

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance right now, I haven't had the PPV long enough I guess. On our PPVs' the trans line goes into the radiator and then back out to the trans correct? So what is the small external cooler that we have in front of the radiator behind the grill? I haven't had a chance to follow the lines. I know the engine oil is the same as the trans but on the driver's side.

View attachment 214004

That is RPO option...

KNP HD AUX TRANS. COOLING SYSTEM

That is the factory auxiliary transmission cooler. Not all trucks have them. They usually come with the "Tow package" or the PPVs.

Check the RPO sticker in your glove box for KNP.

Some guys, like me, remove the aux cooler and replace it with a larger one.

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wonder, I was looking for the other "Kxx" option. I do have the KNP. Ok thanks. Well I don't tow anything so I should be good.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 214004

Wow, 2 Whelen speakers! I've been wanting one for my PA system.

That "little" cooler does great work. Keeps the transmission plenty cool even on the hottest days.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
That "little" cooler does great work. Keeps the transmission plenty cool even on the hottest days.

I also Have the KNP rpo and I'm wondering how hot my trans can stand. I just bought a 26 ft travel trailer last week. towing it home the tranny temp reached 194 and the ambient temp was around 45, just wondering what to expect with ambient temps pushing 90? I have hear that 230 is about as hot as you would want to go. the camper wieghs in at 4700 lbs

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also Have the KNP rpo and I'm wondering how hot my trans can stand. I just bought a 26 ft travel trailer last week. towing it home the tranny temp reached 194 and the ambient temp was around 45, just wondering what to expect with ambient temps pushing 90? I have hear that 230 is about as hot as you would want to go. the camper wieghs in at 4700 lbs

These trucks were literally designed to traverse death valley while towing.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/gmt900-transmission-temperatures.104890/#post-1248415

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 214004
took mine out and put this one in
View media item 27546

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14