Oil smell from vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeardOfWar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a 2017 yukon sle.(5.3)
Recently I've been having a strong oil smell coming from my heater vents once engine is warm. No oil smell from under the hood, no leaks, no dirty/burnt oil on dipstick and no consumption. I am at a loss. I couldn't find anything similar on here. TIA

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the smell increase with blower speed? Does it get worse or better when driving vs sitting at a stoplight? Does using the recirculation option make it go away, or at least make it less? Have you used a good flashlight and looked the exhaust system over for evidence of burnt oil, or any areas with excessive soot escaping a joint?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get a flashlight and take a much closer look, being you are not the original owner maybe it had some work done previous to purchase and it is burning off oil residue.

OP
OP
B

BeardOfWar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the smell increase with blower speed? Does it get worse or better when driving vs sitting at a stoplight? Does using the recirculation option make it go away, or at least make it less? Have you used a good flashlight and looked the exhaust system over for evidence of burnt oil, or any areas with excessive soot escaping a joint?
The smell is worse with blower speed. More prominent when idling. Still couldn't find anything up top or underneath. Got it from the dealer a month ago. Don't drive it much since I have a work vehicle I take home. Maybe it's just spillage burning off when they changed the oil? I hope so

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. So, this has started a month after taking ownership? Can you tell the burning smell difference between transmission fluid and oil? You are saying no leaks anywhere? Nothing at all leaking? Completely dry at all angles and positions of inspection?

OP
OP
B

BeardOfWar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. So, this has started a month after taking ownership? Can you tell the burning smell difference between transmission fluid and oil? You are saying no leaks anywhere? Nothing at all leaking? Completely dry at all angles and positions of inspection?
Thanks. I only noticed it recently, but that's because I started using the floor heater as it's been cold out. I only drive it on weekends and occasionally after work as I have a work vehicle I take home. The smell might have existed prior. I guess I could call the GM dealership I got it from, but I didn't get a warranty or anything because of the mileage (110,000). So I doubt they would care. Definitely smells of engine oil. I know the difference between atf, coolant and engine oil

OP
OP
B

BeardOfWar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's kind of weird too. It doesn't smell burnt. It smells of fresh oil. Like if I had an open quart of oil in the cab.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to sound like a smart-ass, but have you got down and smelled the floor? Is it possible someone jumped in at the dealership with oil soaked boots. I've had that happen to me and that musty, oil/coolant combo can stick around for awhile.

My other thoughts are is it possible that you are smelling 1) off-gassing from the carpets because the truck sits closed up all week without air movement or 2) some sort of carpet cleaner that is wafting out with time.

mrathell

Reaction score
I would suggest you open your air filter box to see if oil or oil residue is in there or the round rubber accordion hose connected to it. Sounds like oil or oil fumes may be getting pulled in from one of the two oil breather lines the connects to the pre-air box box from each of the valve covers.

Here is a picture for reference,

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094