Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
So old school R code 5.7 . With 250000 best case hopefully just a gage issue,but I am sure you know 250 and 21years old. First is test. There could be a number of things going on. I would pull a little oil out and look at it in the sunlight for metal flakes. If on flakes hopefully maybe a oilpump will help. Otherwise time to pull and tear down.

iCajun

Reaction score
It sounds like valid readings. Likely the engine bearings and oil pump are worn. The positive side is engines don't require much oil pressure at idle. A 20w-50 oil may help.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Having an accurate pressure reading will help alot. put a gauge on it. i have seen them idle at 5-10 PSI and live for a long, long time. 10w-30 or 20w-50 may help. 10W-30 works ok in cold climates too. You really need to know what the pressure is at idle.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
Okay! The hard part is working on it, cause my apartment complex you can’t work on your vehicles! (Plus I work where I live, so I HAVE to set a good example.. lame) I’ll get a gauge and give it a test! Would an oil flush help maybe?? I’m trying my hardest NOT to tear anything up, considering I’m a 22 year old with very little to none mechanical experience..

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Okay! The hard part is working on it, cause my apartment complex you can’t work on your vehicles! (Plus I work where I live, so I HAVE to set a good example.. lame) I’ll get a gauge and give it a test! Would an oil flush help maybe?? I’m trying my hardest NOT to tear anything up, considering I’m a 22 year old with very little to none mechanical experience..

I wouldn’t flush it. With that many miles you are asking for trouble.

Did this start before or after your oil change?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts