Oil pressure switch, screen?

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by malmed, Feb 9, 2019.

1. malmed

malmed Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    OK, I finally got my truck back... Total rebuild, .030 over, new everything. ALL that was wrong was a spun cam bearing, that's it... the lifer was ticking due to lack of oil but it was not hurt... Drove it home today, about 50 miles, running very well... oil pressure idles at ~45lbs, moving down the road at 2,000 rpm, ~55, accelerating hard up to 65.... the only thing I have noticed is a small fluctuation in oil pressure... sitting, rev it to 1500 rpm and hold it, and the oil pressure moves a little, just a few lbs, but it does....
    Everything looks like he did a fine job, We shall see....

2. malmed

malmed Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    $2,200 for the turnkey job, and he replaced the pitman and idler arm and aligned it for an extra $200.... :) He works full time as an auto-mechanics teacher in high school, and does this 'on the side' at home, even has his own boring machine, etc... he does a lot of local boys race engines....

Rocket Man likes this.
  3. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Sometimes A Dumbass

Name:
    Mark
    Awesome! Hope the best for you.

4. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
    Name:
    Chris
    Good deal!

Wouldn't sweat the bit of fluctuation. If your pressure is actually good. Hook it up to a mechanical gauge if you're concerned, that'll be your verification. Dash gauge is prone to error in general. Chevy has the better oil Pressure gauge I've seen but it's still no substitute for analogue when it comes to diagnosing

malmed likes this.
  5. petethepug

petethepug Full Access Member

Name:
    Michael
    Damn fine bit of documentation. My neighbor and I bought our Denali used within a matter of months. He got an 06 orig owner XL w/ 140k for $9.6k, I got the 08 1 owner XL w/ 96k for $19.5k.

The (cam) bearing wear, lifter tick and oil pressure drop scenario is the equivalent of a motor is dead warning light. It’ll get passed on to my neighbor and prolly allow him to keep his XL running for another 100k or sell it on and recoup his orig investment.

The thread is sticky worthy

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malmed likes this.