Oil pressure switch, screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have found a guy near me, that all he does is rebuild chevy motors... He will bore it out .020" (likely due to mileage) and rebuild mine for $2,200. Turnkey, drop it off, pick it up done, and warranty.... I know a guy that has 20,000 on one he rebuilt and he is very happy.... Seems like THE way to go... A junkyard motor, put in would cost me $1,800 or so....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have found a guy near me, that all he does is rebuild chevy motors... He will bore it out .020" (likely due to mileage) and rebuild mine for $2,200. Turnkey, drop it off, pick it up done, and warranty.... I know a guy that has 20,000 on one he rebuilt and he is very happy.... Seems like THE way to go... A junkyard motor, put in would cost me $1,800 or so....
That’s a great deal.

BigPapa1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have searched and can find no definite answer...
Does the 03 Denali 6.0 have a filter under the oil pressure sending unit....?

My oil pressure has been fine, idle at 40 psi, 60 psi under acceleration.
One day about a week ago, suddenly oil pressure down to 10 psi idle and 20 under acceleration.
If I dont keep the idle up, she bing bing bings me, low oil pressure warning.

Now, I really don't believe the oil pressure is low, no indications at all... seems fine, except the warnings....
So, I just figured 200,000 miles, oil pressure sending unit...
Swapped it for a new one today...
NO change at all.

I run an AC Delco oil filter and Mobil 1 10w30.

My son says on his 07 truck, he changed his AC Delco and the oil pressure went back up to normal...?
I don't buy that, but, ?

So, I went and did an oil and filter change today, to a WIX synthetic filter... NO change.

All I can guess is there IS a filter under the oil pressure sending unit, and it is dirty... or my oil pump suddenly went bad, which really does not seem likely to me, slow progression I could see, overnight? no way....
I had the same issue and i was worried i would have some expensive repairs up ahead........WRONG!
Thank God, all i did was change the oil, using
Royal Purple 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
and
used the MOBIL oil filter.

Pressure problem gone!

Mike

Musicars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several threads addressing this issue including one from myself. If you look mine up from last year you can see when it started (i don't remember). I am still driving the truck with low oil pressure. It is slowly getting worse. I drove it all winter with Mobil 1 synthetic 0W - 40W and a small bottle of STP engine treatment. The warning bell stayed off all winter. It started again this spring with warmer weather. I changed the oil again but have not put in any additives and it has only triggered once since. I have a friend that races and he swears if I add a quart of gear lube it will help a lot. The Lucas would probably do the same. I have a lower mileage engine to pop in once the weather gets warmer. The point is that sometimes you can drive these for a while after the pressure drops.

Also, send an oil sample in to Blackstone labs. My results showed bearing material in the oil. I suspect a cam bearing issue. I even just sent in the oil from my replacement engine so I can hopefully avoid this again. My truck shows no other issues. No ticks, hardly any oil loss, nothing. I'm at a little over 180,000 miles.

On my old thread I have more detail of what I checked including a picture of an adapter I used to check oil pressure where the oil cooler lines connect. Good luck, I know how aggravating and time consuming this is.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, send an oil sample in to Blackstone labs. My results showed bearing material in the oil. I suspect a cam bearing issue. I even just sent in the oil from my replacement engine so I can hopefully avoid this again. My truck shows no other issues. No ticks, hardly any oil loss, nothing. I'm at a little over 180,000 miles.

I did keep driving mine for a week or so, til the pressure dropped more, alarms went off, and now I have one lifter ticking....
I am told that is a very good sign that a cam bearing has spun, one lifter is not getting oiled... So, I am now scared of really damaging it if I keep driving it.... But, it FEELS fine.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, mine dropped overnight from 40-60psi, to 10-20 psi... no slow drop, bam.

Musicars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, mine dropped overnight from 40-60psi, to 10-20 psi... no slow drop, bam.
Mine took a dive over just a few days. Probably 5 - 10 pounds a day from 40 pounds down to 10 or less depending on how warm the oil gets. Not really a sign of main bearings but more an indication of a cam. I have yet to get the ticking though. Very frustrating, great motors except for this pesky little almost no oil pressure thing. That alarm going off is maddening!

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is now at the engine rebuilder... $2,200 turn key job, bore, new pistons, align bore cam... seems like a bargain. He is also gonna replace any wore out front suspention parts while it is easy to get to them... I know my idle arm and pitman are wore out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is now at the engine rebuilder... $2,200 turn key job, bore, new pistons, align bore cam... seems like a bargain. He is also gonna replace any wore out front suspention parts while it is easy to get to them... I know my idle arm and pitman are wore out.
That’s def a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts