Oil pressure oddity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
Well I know there was something about certain filters not having drain back valves, is it possible that the valve is sticking open? I had to destroy the filter to get it off, my wrench kept slipping and I had no other recourse. It wasn't sludged up, and didnt seem clogged but I seen the valve to which has been referenced

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
Found this on another site while trying to research the filter, maybe the smoking gun??

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
2012 GMC Truck Sierra - 4WD | Cheyenne, Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Document ID: 4211936
#PIP5276D: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel - (Jun 8, 2015)
Subject: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel

Models: 2007-2013 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2013 GMC Canyon, Sierra, Savana, Yukon
with a V8 Engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1)
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
A concern of a P0521 Setting After an oil change and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel.

Recommendation/Instructions
If you are working on a Gen4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, replace with a UPF48R oil filter if one is available.

Note: Only use the UPF48R oil filter if theGen4 V8 is setting a DTC P0521.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
Oil Filter Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
So......... UPDATE. Oil pressure has gone to crap twice again, always after about 1500 or so miles. Last time I just changed the oil filter and NOTHING else and the pressure was back to excellent. This last time I did a full oil change, boom excellent pressure. I just dont get this thing, it drives me nuts. Other thing I notice when changing filters is there seems to be a abundance of oil that comes out when I spin off the filter. I've done many a oil change and never have experienced that much oil coming out from above the filter during a oil change.

Jeffwiz87

Reaction score
So......... UPDATE. Oil pressure has gone to crap twice again, always after about 1500 or so miles. Last time I just changed the oil filter and NOTHING else and the pressure was back to excellent. This last time I did a full oil change, boom excellent pressure. I just dont get this thing, it drives me nuts. Other thing I notice when changing filters is there seems to be a abundance of oil that comes out when I spin off the filter. I've done many a oil change and never have experienced that much oil coming out from above the filter during a oil change.

Ever figure it out?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The way it's designed, YES you will get lots of oil coming out after you pull the
filter.. All LS engines are this way.. So that's normal

Did you ever get this figured out ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17

Latest posts