Oil pressure fluctuating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing some weird oil pressure gauge fluctuations lately.

Recently I changed the oil pressure sensor at the back of the block by the camshaft sensor. Before I was getting 40 -70 psi and now I am getting 35-55 PSI and the pressure is going up and down 10 or so PSI when rpms are held steady at say 2000 rpm. I have seen a couple threads regarding a worn pickup tube o-ring and was wondering if maybe that was the issue. Also, I don't know why the oil pressure would vary so much after changing the sensor. I am guessing the original was clogged up or something? Thanks for any insight.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Do you have a scan tool that can look at the oil pressure sensor readout? Mechanical gauge is ideal for stuff like this, but in the absence of that, it'll at least help narrow if it's a gauge cluster issue or not

On the stock gauge what's your oil pressure at idle, both cold and hot?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I just changed my oring on my 2010 this weekend. Fixed all pressure issues.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard it this to change?
I did my z71 on a set of ramps in the winter in a non heated garage with as actual work time being maybe 6 hours. But, there were several warm up trips to the house lol so took me longer. And I took the pan to work and ran it through our parts cleaner them the hot tank so for me it took two days. But like i said it got the full cleaning treatment, and at 395k it needed it lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I looked it up for a 2005 Tahoe, like in his signature, and I posted the link that it showed. The RA info could be wrong of course.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the filters weren't added until AFM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN