oil pan gasket on vortec HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 96 vortec 385 in a 2door tahoe with 4wd. it has a leak out of the front of the gasket. i replaced the stock oil pan with a 7qt oil pan. can someone walk me through this? i heard i have to life the engine...is this true? i hope not!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Service and Repair NOTE: A one piece type oil pan gasket is used on these engines.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Disconnect the oil level indicator.
  3. Raise and support vehicle and drain the crankcase.
  4. Remove front shield and front skid plate.
  5. Remove the transmission oil cooler line from the bracket (automatic transmission only).
  6. Disconnect the front propeller shaft at the front axle, please refer to Drive/Propeller Shafts, Bearings and Joints/Drive/Propeller Shaft/Service and Repair/ See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Drive/Propeller Shafts, Bearings and Joints\Drive/Propeller Shaft\Service and Repair
  7. Remove two right side bolts and nuts and one left upper bolt and nut to remove the front axle from mounting brackets. It may be necessary to rotate the front drive axle forward and turn the front wheels to the left to remove the axle, please refer to Transmission and Drivetrain/Differential Assembly/Service and Repair/ See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Differential Assembly\Service and Repair
  8. Disconnect strut rods at inspection cover,if equipped.
  9. Remove exhaust crossover pipe.
  10. Remove flywheel/torque converter inspection cover.
  11. Remove the oil filter and adapter.
NOTE: On 1994-5 vehicles, it is necessary to loosen the transmission mounting bolts at the crossmember and raise the transmission enough to allow the oil pan to be removed.

1. Remove oil pan attaching bolts, nuts and reinforcements.
  2. Remove oil pan and gasket.

1. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:

1. Apply sealant to front cover block joint and to the rear crankshaft seal to block joint. Apply sealant approximately 1 inch in both directions from each of the four corners.
    2. Tighten oil pan attaching bolts and oil pan nuts in corners to the following specifications: 1994-5 Models, oil pan bolts 11Nm (100 lb. in.) and oil pan nuts 22Nm (16 lb. ft.) . 1996 Models, all oil pan bolts and nuts 25Nm (18 lb. ft.) .

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's barely enough room for the stock pan to slide out on a 4wd, I don't see it happening without lifting the engine with a 7 qt but I could be wrong. Is it a deep sump or kickout style pan?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this time make shure to clean the surfaces with 90% rubbing alcohol (remove all dirt and oil) and dry them.

Also make shure the pan lip is perfectly flat, as in not indented from over tightening bolts.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You rotate the crankshaft as well to help get i out. I don't think I mentioned that. But if you put in the larger pan before engine install you may be screwed already if the pan was not applicable to 4X4's.

OP
OP
stuntmanray385

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's barely enough room for the stock pan to slide out on a 4wd, I don't see it happening without lifting the engine with a 7 qt but I could be wrong. Is it a deep sump or kickout style pan?

its a kickout pan..like drang race style..

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Service and Repair NOTE: A one piece type oil pan gasket is used on these engines.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Disconnect the oil level indicator.
  3. Raise and support vehicle and drain the crankcase.
  4. Remove front shield and front skid plate.
  5. Remove the transmission oil cooler line from the bracket (automatic transmission only).
  6. Disconnect the front propeller shaft at the front axle, please refer to Drive/Propeller Shafts, Bearings and Joints/Drive/Propeller Shaft/Service and Repair/ See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Drive/Propeller Shafts, Bearings and Joints\Drive/Propeller Shaft\Service and Repair
  7. Remove two right side bolts and nuts and one left upper bolt and nut to remove the front axle from mounting brackets. It may be necessary to rotate the front drive axle forward and turn the front wheels to the left to remove the axle, please refer to Transmission and Drivetrain/Differential Assembly/Service and Repair/ See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Differential Assembly\Service and Repair
  8. Disconnect strut rods at inspection cover,if equipped.
  9. Remove exhaust crossover pipe.
  10. Remove flywheel/torque converter inspection cover.
  11. Remove the oil filter and adapter.
NOTE: On 1994-5 vehicles, it is necessary to loosen the transmission mounting bolts at the crossmember and raise the transmission enough to allow the oil pan to be removed.

1. Remove oil pan attaching bolts, nuts and reinforcements.
  2. Remove oil pan and gasket.

1. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:

1. Apply sealant to front cover block joint and to the rear crankshaft seal to block joint. Apply sealant approximately 1 inch in both directions from each of the four corners.
    2. Tighten oil pan attaching bolts and oil pan nuts in corners to the following specifications: 1994-5 Models, oil pan bolts 11Nm (100 lb. in.) and oil pan nuts 22Nm (16 lb. ft.) . 1996 Models, all oil pan bolts and nuts 25Nm (18 lb. ft.) .

And he comes through yet again!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the images were still good here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442