Oil Pan Gasket Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! If it weren’t for you all I would have torn apart the whole oil pan to change that gasket. I don’t believe it’s the rear main seal (everything is completely dry up in there and I even put my finger inside and there was no oil)...

4B272509-46FB-480F-8E55-DE2E99956940.jpeg

Saw some oil up around the oil cooler block off gasket (didn’t even know it existed until you all pointed it out). Ordered up the gasket, RTV gasket maker (just to be sure I nip it in the bud), and a 24” extension for the ratchet.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! If it weren’t for you all I would have torn apart the whole oil pan to change that gasket. I don’t believe it’s the rear main seal (everything is completely dry up in there and I even put my finger inside and there was no oil)...

View attachment 260258

Saw some oil up around the oil cooler block off gasket (didn’t even know it existed until you all pointed it out). Ordered up the gasket, RTV gasket maker (just to be sure I nip it in the bud), and a 24” extension for the ratchet.

Let us know hos it goes.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 260258

I will take a picture of my oil pan so you can see what a rear main leak looks like. Do you have oil all over your crossmember? Bottom of your fuel tank? Clear back to your muffler and Rear Diff Housing? I do that's a rear main leak.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I did replace the block off gasket a couple nights ago...

2E6AECD9-C66C-4E25-AD54-681DF443B5C6.jpeg

I used a 24” extension with a swivel and one of those ratchets that the head can adjust which made it possible to remove the part without removing the tire or inner fender liner (was able to sneak right through)...

DE6553E2-5821-435F-BEE6-AC676DA02D57.jpeg

0F12E965-C58F-43F6-83F7-925E8D8578EC.jpeg

It was actually quite comfortable leaning my arm against the tire. The angled ratchet helped so it wouldn’t hit the tire.

6C718CBE-DE8B-48B4-A394-0F0F744860A8.jpeg

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I will take a picture of my oil pan so you can see what a rear main leak looks like. Do you have oil all over your crossmember? Bottom of your fuel tank? Clear back to your muffler and Rear Diff Housing? I do that's a rear main leak.

Yeah...sounds like I definitely do not have a rear main seal leak! Would like to see a picture of it though..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins