Oil pan gasket leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011TXDenali

Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got my coolant leak issues fixed, now moving on to an oil leak. From reading various threads it looks like I need to replace the oil pan gasket. But I just wanted to confirm with people that know way more than I do. Pics are below. Or, let me know what else it could be. Thanks in advance!

oil1.jpgoil2.jpgoil3.jpgoil4.jpgoil5.jpg

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a crap shoot unfortunately. It could be the cooler line connection gasket, the oil pan itself, or the rear main seal. I went down that road with my 2008 and did the pan and cooler plate........10 miles later it was wet again and it's the RMS. At this point with 176k on it, a piece of cardboard is cheaper than another 10 hours of labor and parts.

OP
OP
2011TXDenali

2011TXDenali

Reaction score
That's a crap shoot unfortunately. It could be the cooler line connection gasket, the oil pan itself, or the rear main seal. I went down that road with my 2008 and did the pan and cooler plate........10 miles later it was wet again and it's the RMS. At this point with 176k on it, a piece of cardboard is cheaper than another 10 hours of labor and parts.
I hear you on that, I'm close to hitting 170K on mine. But I also think the leak is affecting the oil pressure. So I probably need to take care of it. Thanks for the advice.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're having oil pressure problem that's a different story. You may have O-ring pick up problem which you will have to pull pan anyway. There are a few threads on O-ring repair what are symptoms you are seeing?
A seeping oil pan will not affect your oil pressure.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a seeping pan gasket, you might as well replace the O-ring and the cooler gasket while you are under there..a RMS will be "sarcasm on" a good time "sarcasm off" especially knowing the fun it was doing my pan gasket. Try to figure out where the leak might be coming from - try cleaning the pan area and check again for seapage!

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the oil cooler line gasket first.. Then clean it all up and drive for a while..
I "think" this may be the bulk of your leak (from the photos)
Use a Mahle or GM gasket on this

OP
OP
2011TXDenali

2011TXDenali

Reaction score
If you're having oil pressure problem that's a different story. You may have O-ring pick up problem which you will have to pull pan anyway. There are a few threads on O-ring repair what are symptoms you are seeing?
A seeping oil pan will not affect your oil pressure.
I've notice the oil pressure fluctuating a bunch, a couple times it has gone down to zero and the "Stop engine" warning message has come on. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and screen about 2 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop