Oil pan gasket leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2011TXDenali

2011TXDenali

Reaction score
I would do the oil cooler line gasket first.. Then clean it all up and drive for a while..
I "think" this may be the bulk of your leak (from the photos)
Use a Mahle or GM gasket on this
That seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution to try first. I just replaced those oil cooler lines and gasket about a year ago. But maybe a better gasket will do it.

OP
OP
2011TXDenali

2011TXDenali

Reaction score
If you have a seeping pan gasket, you might as well replace the O-ring and the cooler gasket while you are under there..a RMS will be "sarcasm on" a good time "sarcasm off" especially knowing the fun it was doing my pan gasket. Try to figure out where the leak might be coming from - try cleaning the pan area and check again for seapage!
Yeah, I've read to do both if you already have the oil pan out. I don't think I want to know about replacing the rear main seal. I'm no mechanic, I just do what I see on YouTube.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've notice the oil pressure fluctuating a bunch, a couple times it has gone down to zero and the "Stop engine" warning message has come on. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and screen about 2 years ago.
that little bit of seepage has "zero" affect on oil pressure, it's only relation is that it's time to get in there and do the nasty due to age and mileage.
my approach would be:
1. send a oil sample out to blackstone labs to see if you have major things going on.
2. if the report comes back with no major problems then
3 pull the pan, replace the oil pump and pickup tube, eoc cooler adapter gasket, oil filter adapter gasket.
clean out the pan, replace the gasket and probably do the timing cover gasket at the same time and most likely a new water pump at the same time and just shot gun it and hope the rear main holds up.
lots of labor for a few bucks in parts but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
I say water pump because that will be the next thing to crap out so may as well just bite the bullet.

InterceptorF

Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got my coolant leak issues fixed, now moving on to an oil leak. From reading various threads it looks like I need to replace the oil pan gasket. But I just wanted to confirm with people that know way more than I do. Pics are below. Or, let me know what else it could be. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 389508View attachment 389509View attachment 389510View attachment 389511View attachment 389512
It doesn’t look too bad. Loosen the bolts in the area and force/ smear rtv into the pan/ block gap and tighten up the bolts and let it set overnight. It worked for mine after replacing the rear seal and I still had a slight leak in that same spot 2001 5.3. It may be a bit redneck but if it works without dropping the pan your fixed.

bkenn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
having a Similar issue. I am about to just say eff it and do BOTH the Oil pan gasket and the oil cooler line gasket. figure if the shop is gonna take one apart then they may as well do the other while theyre there.

jdwood1111

Reaction score
It doesn’t look too bad. Loosen the bolts in the area and force/ smear rtv into the pan/ block gap and tighten up the bolts and let it set overnight. It worked for mine after replacing the rear seal and I still had a slight leak in that same spot 2001 5.3. It may be a bit redneck but if it works without dropping the pan your fixed.
I was thinking of trying that just to see if it would help. I had a very similar leak and started a thread a few weeks ago and just haven't had time to get pictures posted. My leak to be in the same location, the back corner of the oil pan gasket or the rear main, which it appears dry in there. I cannot find anything leaking up top just at the bottom and mine is not as bad as this thread, yet. However, I do not drive it too often, 2nd vehicle.

So did you just remove the plastic shields, unbolt the two trans bolts, then the oil pan bolts and smear it in the joint the best you could? Mine seems to seep a bit on the drivers side and that back corner but not much on the passenger side.

I am debating on trying the oil cooler line gasket at least but that was replaced 8 months ago by the dealer i bought it from.

OP
OP
2011TXDenali

2011TXDenali

Reaction score
So I finally got around to working on my Yukon this week. I replaced the O-ring on the oil pickup line, which seems to have solved my low oil pressure warning that was coming on. I also replaced the oil pan gasket and oil cooler lines gasket.

This is the video I watched and followed that was pretty helpful if anyone is wanting to do this on your own.

I did all this with my truck on ramps, inside my closed garage since it was pretty cold out. It was a comedy of errors and a bunch of things going wrong that slowed me down, but I finally got everything done. I haven't noticed any oil leaks yet after one day. Hopefully it stays nice and dry under. Thanks to everyone on here for all the help and suggestions.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to working on my Yukon this week. I replaced the O-ring on the oil pickup line, which seems to have solved my low oil pressure warning that was coming on. I also replaced the oil pan gasket and oil cooler lines gasket.

This is the video I watched and followed that was pretty helpful if anyone is wanting to do this on your own.

I did all this with my truck on ramps, inside my closed garage since it was pretty cold out. It was a comedy of errors and a bunch of things going wrong that slowed me down, but I finally got everything done. I haven't noticed any oil leaks yet after one day. Hopefully it stays nice and dry under. Thanks to everyone on here for all the help and suggestions.
Congrats on a job well done, and welcome to the oil pan club! It’s an elite group!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345