Oil pan gasket and pickup tube seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Think I'll stick to the instructions like you did. Just wanted to make sure I get everything before I start. I'll add a torque wrench to the list. Good idea with the cleaning. I know it's a real mess under there.
Lots of rags. lots. Lots. Seriously... SO MANY. Every ******** thing will be dripping in your mouth, up your arm, and in your hair.

Use a dab of RTV on the corners where the oil pan gasket mates with the front and rear cover gaskets. I used hondabond on mine (threebond). The oil pan gasket is marked for it-has some textured spots

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an AWESOME secret to help keep your garage clean while doing this...

Save your Amazon boxes. Every so often I get HUGE amazon boxes. There is nothing better to place under your truck when doing this sort of work. It will absorb the fluids that fall onto it.

1. Clean bottom of engine with pressure washer and de-greaser as best as possible. I go to one of those quarter pressure wash places.

2. Place truck on ramps where you plan on doing the work. I additionally put jack stands as a backup under frame members.

3. Run a full 8 oz container of sea-foam in your crank case for 1 hour (don't drive).

4. Leave oil plug out overnight and let drain into your oil pan. This will make a BIG difference.

5. Place your largest amazon box under the truck.

6. Get a couple spray bottles from walmart (they sell for like a dollar). Put simple green in one, and dish soap solution in another. Keep these and rags close-by.

Disassemble and take pan off. It shouldn't make too big a mess if you let the oil drain.

This setup works AWESOME. My garage seldom gets greasy since I started doing this with amazon boxes.

One extra tip, if you ever have the chance buy a military flight suit. I've never found anything even remotely better for doing mechanic work.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One extra tip, if you ever have the chance buy a military flight suit. I've never found anything even remotely better for doing mechanic work.

Is that for when you smoke and work on your car at the same time LoL? Nomex is flame retardant but it's properties do wear out with time. Flight suits also are great for driving your RV around.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha, I need to grow a mustache, buy a RV and drive around in my mechanic flight suit. I actually have a helmet to race my corvette. Sometimes I drive my buick around town and wear the helmet lol

I love wearing it because it slips on and slips off easy. It also seems to hold up to the grease and all that stuff yet is comfortable. Probably the nomex is long gone.

Gunnyj1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had a curious question. I'm replacing oil pan gasket on my 2005 tahoe LT. I removed this plate to better clean the bottom and was wondering if this plate is really needed for the pick up tube?oil pan.jpg

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a curious question. I'm replacing oil pan gasket on my 2005 tahoe LT. I removed this plate to better clean the bottom and was wondering if this plate is really needed for the pick up tube?View attachment 348005
Don't be "that" guy who takes apart stuff and puts it back together then has parts left over....

Gunnyj1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't be "that" guy who takes apart stuff and puts it back together then has parts left over....
LOL!!! I would never do that. Just didn't see the purpose of that plate since the pick up tube is emerged into the oil any way. Everything's bak together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287