Oil not showing full on dipstick until 9 qts. were put in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple places to ALWAYS avoid, pep-boys and jiffy lube, if you absolutely have to visit either place, do not take your eyes off the person working on your vehicle and stop them if they deviate from anything other than what was requested.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a 2004 Tahoe LT with the 5.3L. Recently I took it in for an oil change at a jiffy lube or something similar (I know I know, but I needed it done quick).
So, a generic jiffy lube? :badidea: Even a real jiffy lube :badidea:

They gave me the car back and were asking me if I had the 5.3 in it and if I had an aftermarket oil pan or something. I told them it was the 5.3, and that I did not have any aftermarket parts related to the oil. They proceeded to tell me they had to put 9 quarts of oil in for the dip stick to read as full . The oil capacity for these things is supposed to be about 6 qts, but at 6 qts, it wouldnt register on the dip stick.

Those places are usually people learning how to work on cars. Especially those employees that get put on the easier jobs like oil changes. That's where they start learning the basics of working on vehicles. When I was 14 I was a "lot attendant" at a dealership. I washed cars, picked up trash, made food runs, would be a second pair of hands for a mechanic. Oil changes were the only thing they would let me do to work on cars. The manager said "Why would I pay a mechanic $40 an hour to do oil changes when I can pay you minimum wage. Let them do real work."

I know it sounds funny (to the rest of us), but I really think the two most likely answers are:
Did they put in a different dipstick thinking no big deal?
Did they read the oil with the engine running, (before it drains back into the pain), (my first guess)?

I remember last time I took it to a dealership I work at and they royally screwed a lot of things up. First thing I checked was the oil and I did not see any oil on it, so I thought they had not filled it . Now I'm thinking they had filled it to 6 qts, but as we know now, that doesn't put it on the stick for me. They had also somehow messed up two of my spark plugs while it was in there, so maybe it could have affected the dip stick as well.

What's the chance they put in a different dipstick?
Could we get some more info here.
What's the list of work they did?
You work there, and they screwed it up? Was this an employee who doesn't like you or do you think an idiot?

I believe I have a small oil leak, but I don't think it's that my dipstick tube is not all the way in or anything . I've been told it's from a rear main seal. My next plan is to maybe order a genuine GM dipstick, even though I had it replaced with a genuine one a year or two ago due to it snapping. Maybe they lost my dipstick and ordered one that wasn't correct?

You had a dipstick snap a year ago, and then replaced it???? Just curious, how many oil changes have you done since this, or even just checked your oil level yourself. What's the chance this could the wrong part and the Jeffrey lube tech was the first one to notice? What caused your dipstick to snap the first time?

Any ideas for what I can check? I've never heard of this issue before . I've been light on the throttle lately because I don't want it to blow up. Thanks guys.
What about the oil pickup tube, (that I know nothing about, but know it can be problematic)? Is that something that could cause this, either when its broke or if not fixed properly?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the idea of checking the dipstick holder. My oil checked out low on my dipstick, but when I checked through the passenger wheel well I could see the dipstick holder o ring (red) out of the block. Re-seated and all was well.

9 quarts (if that’s what was actually added) is way too much to add.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989