Oil leaking options...hear me out first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

So 2008 6.2L is going strong. Past year it does leak when oil is hot and all around the engine block (back side) by drain plug, starter motor and oil filter.

I replaced my drain plug. I've replaced the oil pickup gasket last year, which required oil pan being dropped. I put new oil pan gasket on and applied RTF at the back corners, etc.

I replaced both valve cover gaskets. Still dripping.....

I used RTF to seal up the oil cooler blockoff plate. WOW, that stopped all leaks on the left side. So clearly time is working against this engine and things are leaking. So now leaks are just on the passenger side by the stater motor--I think.

I opened the inspection plate at the tranny, thinking might be a rear main seal issue. The pressure plate/flywheel is dry. NO oil in that area. So I'm not sure it is rear main seal.

So my question is why would there be a leak near the starter motor? Where is there a seal there?

Secondly, is there anything above the starter that could be leaking? I thought there might be a knock sensor there or something......

Thoughts anyone?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The quickest way that I find leaks is to clean the area first with some greased lightning then run the engine for a bit, then use a boroscope. You can get them cheap off eBay, they are great for anything from auto to home repair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352477906922

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll take a look there but the oil sender unit is on the driver side and most of my leaks are on passenger near the starter motor. But it’s a process of elimination. I know.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Think of it this way. Like water that drips on to something and then that water runs across the surface or down the surface and ten finally drops to the ground a hole foot over from where the leak started at. Same with oil, especially hot oil.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My two guesses are crankshaft position sensor and oil dipstick tube.

Like Danny said- clean it off so it'll be easier to find the fresh leaks. I like to use brake parts cleaner- the cheap Super Tech from Walmart works great. Their engine degreaser works great as well.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What those guys said... plus what pnwvet said....path of least resistance.... look up from where it’s dripping and try to follow it ....after it’s clean