Oil leak on a 2002 tahoe LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe2002LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 chevy tahoe LT.. I havehave replaced the oil cooler seal, rear main seal, oil sending unit and oil pan gasket. Now it leaks worse than it did before. The mechanic replaced the rear main seal a second time and it still leaks. He now says that there is a crank shaft seal behind the rear main that is the problem. I hear the 1999-2002 have problems with the rear main cover gasket leaking. Has anyone ever heard of a seal behind the rear main seal on the crank shaft? He's telling me he has to rebuild the motor or that I need to replace the motor because it has too many miles on it.
I know he didn't replace the rear main plate gasket. I hoping that this is the problem. On a side note the motor sounds great no knocks or grinding. I'd hate to spend money on something that doesn't need fixing Any info wouldbe great. Thanks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he doesn't wanna mess with it any more and is trying to make you go away. Also, I don't know who in their right mind would go so far as replacing the rear main seal, but not replace the rear cover gasket while they're there. IMO, you're getting yanked around by this "mechanic".

You're gonna have to clean the motor and look for fresh oil leaking rather than just replacing everything that has oil on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent