Oil Leak From New

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but I just noticed this morning my suburban diesel with 9k miles on it leaked oil last night. Maybe a half of a dixie cup or so. Sucks I live so far from the dealer but looks like I need to bring it in. I can't get underneath the car but I can see on the oil filter looks wet. Wish i had a car jack so I can see if it is loose.
Apparently this is a thing -

I'd get a floor jack - save yourself the fuel and headache of going to the dealership and it's something you can use to keep an eye on your undercarriage, rotate tires, etc.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine works for a company that does engine development for the big 3 automakers. When the 3.0L diesel came out and they had oil leak issues (RMS I believe or something similar), EVERY test cell in their facility was full doing hot test runs on each new engine made by GM before they went to the assembly line. They eventually figured out the design flaw and fixed it.

That's not what you are dealing with, but an interesting tid-bit.

RaptorJet31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got under there and it was loose, I decided to order some Amsoil 0-20 and a new filter and changed it. Everything good now.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a little oil under the car once. When I checked underneath, I could not find oil on the undercarriage. The engine is tight and clean. The only thing maybe I could think of was the oil cooler, but I could not find anything. I brought it in to the dealer and made a point of speaking to the mechanics before paying. They were a couple of on-the-ball young techs and they told me they could not find anything. We put it up on the lift and they showed me everything was clean.

I love this engine. I would not have anything else. It's the best engine I have ever had bar none.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne