Oil filter difference ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjr

Reaction score
Swathdiver, how doe the AC & the Wix compare on oil flow, a topic which you touched upon in another thread?

Lalo

Reaction score
I installed a Derale 15749 dual filter setup...
Derale 15749 Engine Oil Filter Relocation Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XONTYI/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_X5ZfEbMV87TPA

Here is a link to my build thread with some pics of the mounting locations...
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...urb-ltz-mod-thread.100141/page-3#post-1199569

I also installed an aftermarket oil cooler since my truck didn't have one already.

Then I ended up having hydraulic hoses made up for it so I could get away from those barbed fittings that came in the kit...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...rb-ltz-mod-thread.100141/page-51#post-1324392

Nice setup

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swathdiver, how doe the AC & the Wix compare on oil flow, a topic which you touched upon in another thread?

Bob, I've not been successful in locating the flow rate for the WIX WL10255. RockAuto mentions 4 Gallons Per Minute but that does not seem right. If true, that would be less than half of its next closest competitor.

ACDelco PF63E = 13.2 GPM - 792 GPH

Mobil 1 M1-212A = 11.2 GPM - 672 GPH

K&N HP-2011 = 16 GPM - 960 GPH

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K&N numbers look fantastic ? Be great if you could install a electrical external pump so you could pressurize the system before a start ?

We always wanted to do that to our turbo cars back in the '80s to avoid coking in the turbocharger. Then we discovered the benefits of Mobil 1, which was then a Group IV oil, and for our street cars was not necessary.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Wouldn't more flow give less pressure?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Oil pressure is measured after the oil filter.

Less flow (volume) through the filter should equal less pressure after the filter.

More flow/volume through the filter should equal higher pressure after the filter... IMO

If your pressure sensor was located in between the oil pump and oil filter then a filter that flows less GPM would increase pressure, while a filter that flows more GPM would decrease pressure.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Oil pressure is measured after the oil filter.

Less flow (volume) through the filter should equal less pressure after the filter.

More flow/volume through the filter should equal higher pressure after the filter... IMO

If your pressure sensor was located in between the oil pump and oil filter then a filter that flows less GPM would increase pressure, while a filter that flows more GPM would decrease pressure.

Yes indeed ! I put a complete long block in my 1990 Silverado in 2014-5 and the manufacturer as a rule includes a "Hi-Volume" pump. So I have 60psi at start and it only drops when the engine is fully warmed up and then it stays at 30-40psi at idle, in gear at a stop light. Now the pump doesn't create pressure but the oil when compressed at the entrance of the oil cavities/gallery system, that builds the pressure. I'm pretty sure of that answer, as it was given me by the engines rebuilder. But there is the collection of 'nano "seconds" (not the best description) where there is no pressure yet. But again, it isn't important. And that is the reason the oil pressure sensor is at a half-way position in the oils flow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts