Oil filter adapter seal/gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe LT 5.3L Flex engine.

As I have stated a few times, I have not been in shops in about 10 years.

I had a small oil leak, before recent oil and filter change, that showed as a drip on the bottom of the old filter. It was on a rack when I was showed this and could not see any oil from the back of intake or the left valve cover. But there was a small amount of air blown smear just above the filter area. It does not have an oil cooler on this engine. I assumed there was an oil filter adapter seal leak. I bought a metal and rubber seal, as per application, but the tech at the garage where I had a bunch of recent work done said there is no oil filter adapter. I watched a you tube about this and it appears there is possibly an oil cooler block off plate on a 2005 5.3L engine in the video. When I look up at RA I find no listed seal/gasket for this block off plate and I also looked at GM Parts.

I think my small leak was just a leak at the oil filter seal, if in fact there is no block off plate and no oil filter adapter seal/gasket. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

It sucks that I don't have lift available to me after 35 years of having them.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was looking at those this morning and thinking this may be it but unsure if the correct one would be the Fel Pro, one at the top, or 2 down AC Delco one that is shaped slightly different. When I did get under there before, when on the lift, I did not pay attention but did see no lines so I knew it did not have the cooler lines but was unsure if I even saw a block off plate. Are you saying that without the cooler lines that ALL of them will have the block off plate, at least the 2000 to 2006 NBS, and which of the 2 choices is the correct one. They are both available at Amazon too, because I already checked.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those this morning and thinking this may be it but unsure if the correct one would be the Fel Pro, one at the top, or 2 down AC Delco one that is shaped slightly different. When I did get under there before, when on the lift, I did not pay attention but did see no lines so I knew it did not have the cooler lines but was unsure if I even saw a block off plate. Are you saying that without the cooler lines that ALL of them will have the block off plate, at least the 2000 to 2006 NBS, and which of the 2 choices is the correct one. They are both available at Amazon too, because I already checked.
Yes, if there’s no oil cooler lines there will be a block off plate instead. The gasket for the block off plate looks like this instead of the one with 2 smaller holes.upload_2019-11-27_16-43-20.png

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Got it. I just ordered what I wanted. The seal/gasket will get here Friday and I already ordered 2 hinge pin kits for the driver's door because I just noticed slight play in the hinge and want to address before pin and hinge damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts