oil dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conky105

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Call me crazy but when i change my oil and i go to check the level on the dipstick after I'm done with the first start up i have a huge problem seeing it on the dipstick. the oil is do clean its invisible on the stick!!! I also measure it out to 9 quarts. is there an aftermarket dipstick i can buy that would help me out? tks in advance

--------------------------

i forgot to add that its a 2019 yukon 6.2

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuscan Ranch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Use a handheld light source like a pocket LED flashlight to see oil reflections or check it outside in the sunlight.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced that for years on generators that run on natural gas and use synthetic oil. Sometimes it's almost impossible to read it right after a change - the oil is THAT clean.

Sounds like you have a good clean engine and are using a good quality oil. I always use the light trick. Sometimes you can get a glint of light off it and it will show you. Or, look at it in a shadow with brighter ambient light as the background.

Lastly, not to tell you what to do, but I believe 9 quarts is too much oil. I could be wrong, but my 2017 6.2L takes 8 qts. Initially they were 8.5qts from the factory, but GM revised it to 8 qts. Again, probably trivial in the whole scheme of things, because it's technically only 1/2 qt over if you go by the OE spec I guess.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've experienced that for years on generators that run on natural gas and use synthetic oil. Sometimes it's almost impossible to read it right after a change - the oil is THAT clean.

Sounds like you have a good clean engine and are using a good quality oil. I always use the light trick. Sometimes you can get a glint of light off it and it will show you. Or, look at it in a shadow with brighter ambient light as the background.

Lastly, not to tell you what to do, but I believe 9 quarts is too much oil. I could be wrong, but my 2017 6.2L takes 8 qts. Initially they were 8.5qts from the factory, but GM revised it to 8 qts. Again, probably trivial in the whole scheme of things, because it's technically only 1/2 qt over if you go by the OE spec I guess.
If I cannot read the oil level, I have just turned the dipstick to a different angle in the light of day and can read it. Maybe I should just use a miner's helmet.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts