Oil cooler leak NOT a hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gflight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time posting. I just installed a level kit in my 2010 Z71 Suburban and in the process I looked into an oil leak that just showed up in the past month. It is coming from my oil cooler right where the oil cooler attaches to the engine just above the oil filter. The reason for my post is that I have done research all over the internet to try to find information similar to this and have only came up with leaking hose repairs and leaking block off plates. My leak is coming from what looks like a plug with a large allen key in it. Does anyone know if this is a threaded plug that I can just tighten or if it has an o-ring? I would have tried to tighten it but I will have to take off the 2 10mm bolts and remove the cooler to try it because it is really tight and I want to be prepared before I do it. I attached a picture from a new cooler with a blue arrow pointing to the spot that is leaking. It is leaking quite a bit when the truck is running. I just had to add a quart of oil. Thank you for your help.

Update: I just added a few pictures of the actual leak.

Screenshot_20181210-195454_Chrome.jpg 20181211_094321.jpg 20181211_094300.jpg 20181211_094221.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gflight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would have tried to tighten it already but it is in a very tight spot. I either will have to remove the 2 10mm bolts to get enough room to get a large Allen wrench in there or cut an Allen wrench down so it only has a small stub after the bend. Does anyone know the Allen wrench size of this? It is large and looks like a 10mm. I also want to be prepared with a new o ring if I need one here.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
ill add a guess to bump you back to the top. i am considering adding the oe eng oil cooler to our vehicle, Is that the bypass thermostat incorporated into the line manifold? if it is than it will likely have a o ring, if you remove it you will replace the two packings/o rings in the pic. ill bet someone will remember the size, i hate even saying this but can you get a set of channel lock pliers on the shoulder of the plug and simply check for looseness? just to see if it is really loose?

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call. I didn’t recognize it. That should be a block off where you can run the return and supply lines in optional directions. The manifold can be configured different ways so it may be loose or as stated.

OP
OP
G

Gflight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the bump. I will see if I can get ahold of it with some channel locks or a big needle nose pliers. I was Leary about doing that but like you said I will at least find out if it is as simple as tightening it. My transmission cooler line crimp fittings also just started to leak. Must be the cold in Wisconsin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96