Oil Cooler Gasket Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '05 2wd has the oil cooler block off above the oil filter, and I believe its leaking again. The OE gasket was a nice thick aluminum with rubber seal. The replacement gasket is like the pic below. I've never liked these pot metal flimsy gaskets and I do not believe they work near as well as the original OE one that was much thicker. Is there an alternative to this gasket? I'd even consider buying a different block off cap + gasket if that would help. My experience with this gasket (pictured) is they start leaking again not long after install. I've even made sure the OE block off cap is flat and flush.

1666364751281.png

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a persistent leak at the oil cooler mounting location on the oil pan. I was able to determine that it was not the repeatedly replaced gasket but the hex head threaded bolt on the side. Take a look at this location.

oil cooler block.png

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '05 2wd has the oil cooler block off above the oil filter, and I believe its leaking again. The OE gasket was a nice thick aluminum with rubber seal. The replacement gasket is like the pic below. I've never liked these pot metal flimsy gaskets and I do not believe they work near as well as the original OE one that was much thicker. Is there an alternative to this gasket? I'd even consider buying a different block off cap + gasket if that would help. My experience with this gasket (pictured) is they start leaking again not long after install. I've even made sure the OE block off cap is flat and flush.

View attachment 383437
Oreilly offers the Mahle gasket, part number B31872. Other venders may have the Mahle as well. Should be about 9.00
1666371405494.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442